Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,091   Online: 1026

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To return to the original thread subject, thats the main reason I stopped buying the UK Black & White Photography mag; too many overcooked digital images converted to mono infiltrating the reader portfolios.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    By using Pyrocat HD as a divided developer which expands the tonal range way outside what is typically possible with a standard developer is this not a HDR (High Dynamic Range) technique for film?

Typically HDR has become associated with extremely distorted digital images giving an unrealistic view of a standard subject.

The image below was a HDR image consisting of 5 digital images to control detail in both the light & dark parts of the image.

Wells Catherdral Interior HDR by Ed Bray, on Flickr

The image below was on 5x7 Foma 400 film developed in Divided Pyrocat HD to maintain detail both inside and outside of the building.

Window, Old Filter House, Tottiford by Ed Bray, on Flickr
    Ed- I have no issue with either of your examples - your color image shows appropriate use of the technique because it truly looks like what the eye would perceive. There's no false color, there's no bas-relief effect, no lack of true highlights or shadows as is all too common in HDR work. What I was upset about when I posted the original comment was the hyper-exaggerated, technique-in-your-face style of HDR that is being rewarded. I would never know your Wells Cathedral shot was HDR until you said something, which is really the way it SHOULD be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin