Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,362   Online: 771

Shooter
    35mm

Photo books whith tech info

Often yuo see in photo books that the photographer has in the end added some info about gear, lens, shutterspeed, aperture and filmchoice for each image.
    Does that realy increase salesment of that book or is it just timewasting? I dont care much about technical info when i look at pictures in a book but others may do!?

Taking notes in the field is just distrakting me from the more important image, to compose and capture under the best light. Im into naturephotography, in swed.lapland mostly.
    No real actionphotography but sometimes it is about seconds before the light changes. No time to waste on taking notes.

Nothing to hide here but found non better category

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ksa66 View Post
    Often yuo see in photo books that the photographer has in the end added some info about gear, lens, shutterspeed, aperture and filmchoice for each image.
    Does that realy increase salesment of that book or is it just timewasting? I dont care much about technical info when i look at pictures in a book but others may do!?
    Depends on what the book is for. If it is for photography instruction then yes it could be a sales point and not a waist of time. If its a book for art purposes then it is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ksa66 View Post
    Taking notes in the field is just distrakting me from the more important image, to compose and capture under the best light. Im into nature photography, in swed.lapland mostly.
    No real action photography but sometimes it is about seconds before the light changes. No time to waste on taking notes.
    Taking notes for oneself can be VARY important. I mainly shoot large format and if i didnt take notes, especially about how I may want to alter my development time for the zone system then i have probably just wasted a bunch of sheets of film.

Taking notes helps you know how you can improve!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    It can be interesting sometimes to understand the technical aspects behind a good photograph. Even Ansel Adams in his books often writes what gear, film and filter he used for some of his creations. Taking notes in the field can be very distracting at times, but readers can hugely benefit from this extra. The difficult part is to collect enough experience to make the camera an extension of your mind, so the technical part becomes automatic and you can fully concentrate on the artistic part. I wish I could already do that...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on if you want to be a photographer, or a happy snapper, the technical details are very important as part of the creative process for serious photography.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Many photography books contain f/stops, shutter speeds, filters and film information... that's fine. I really prefer to read about what went on in the photographer's mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It may depend on whether the photographer in question also teaches workshops, writes technical articles etc. in addition to being a great photographer. John Sexton is an example. He includes some exposure, lens, aperture, film and development data for each plate in his books as an appendix. I see it as a courtesy on his part since he is a teacher and knows many of the people who buy his books are interested in technique, not just the art. I see nothing at all wrong with it. If you aren't interested in the technical stuff, you just don't read it. It's in a section at the end of the book so there are no distractions on the pages with the images.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Light Guru;1541980]Depends on what the book is for. If it is for photography instruction then yes it could be a sales point and not a waist of time. If its a book for art purposes then it is not needed.

Exakly my thinking. Many thanks for all yur inputs. Soon there will be a book from my work i guess. But internet sucks all energi from people!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thread moved to "Books..." subforum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin