Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 761

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

David is a Contributing Editor to View Camera. He has done a series of articles on different themes.

He will also be a speaker at our conferece in Mass. May 20-22. The complete program is on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

The black and white images were not converted from color but shot as B&W.

steve simmons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Muench's black and white images appear to have been printed with very strong contrast. (I've only ever seen reproductions, but some of those are in his book with Mark). I remember being surprised by that, but allowed that it was certainly a different look from other photographers of that era who were photographing similar scenes. In the book I have, several of the b and w scenes are also presented in color....work I assume he did later...and they work far better that way, at least for me.

It is a treat to see his work in VC and I welcome it however often it appears.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    David is a Contributing Editor to View Camera. He has done a series of articles on different themes.
    steve simmons

Ah, this explains it!

Thanks Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Oh I dunno - not necessarily.
    Jack Dykinga doesn't seem to rate digital backs on LF equipment very highly. (I personally would regard him to be at a similiar level and he is in the same field of photography).
    To paraphrase: "I still believe a single sheet of 4x5 film with an ability to capture 1.5 Gb of info is tough to beat - and you don't need an extra 2 people to carry the hundred pounds of equipment."

I find myself agreeing with him for LF work. The practical efficiency, cost effectiveness and simple performance of film over digital backs makes better sense at this time (imho).
    I agree perfectly. While I have been a fan of David Muench's work for years, I find myself more in tune with Jack Dykinga - and Joe Cornish, for that matter. Jack's latest book "Arizona" is outstanding!!. FWIW, here is a link to an article that Jack Dykinga wrote for Arizona Highways magazine: Don’t Confuse Resolution With Quality by Jack Dykinga

I'm glad to see David's work. I hope VC publishes more landscape work.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin