Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,366   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Have a new display venue

Hi all, called a local higher end furniture store a couple of weeks ago and pitched them about selling my matted, framed photos. The owners husband seemed quite interested and said he would speak to his wife about the idea and said the words no one wants to hear. If we are interested we will get back to you.

Lo and behold he did. Not only are they very interested, they wanted to know if I could help them put together a space in their store for local artists works that could be used in home decorating. I was blown out of the water and of course jumped at the chance. They said they would get back to me next week to get the ball rolling. I am very pleased. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CONGRATULATIONS! Great initiative.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    congrats! And very cool idea. I hope it works out well!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks. I really am quite pumped with the idea and after owning a gallery near by that only carried local artists, I think I can be helpful to the artists and the shop owners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is great to hear!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don- I think this is great. It will be beneficial to both the store, and the artists. Once you assemble the artists, you should convince the store to have an opening reception, with wine, cheese, etc. They'll probably get a lot of people to set foot in the store for the first time. Keep us posted on your progress.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I haven't done as well. I now have my matted/framed prints hanging in a very high-priced restaurant, not the greatest lighting, but hey... My wife and I had lunch there a few weeks ago, and I noticed one of my prints wasn't on the wall anywhere in the place. The owner was very busy with customers, so I went home and sent him an email inquiring about the print. He said they're all there. I responded asking where exactly is the print in question. He replied "It's in the men's room!" (I hadn't looked there.) I went again and, sure enough, it was there on the wall opposite the sinks - with water splatters on the glass which I wiped off with a hanky. Needless to say, my business skills are lacking somewhat. I'm still tempted to take the print down. Any opinions on this?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Silveror0, The mens room is not such a bad thing, but getting water splashed on it is not good at all. Actually, I think the womens room would be a better place. Women typically have decorating the house on their minds as a priority whereas men think decorating is a poster of their favorite team in their mans cave. Women also are known to go to the bathroom in a flock. One of the little mysteries of life. But whatever, your work is out there for others to enjoy rather than in a box in the closet at home. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey don

that is wonderful news !
    i have been trying to do something similar near me, but
    the furniture stores are all corporate run ( or so it seems )
    or out of business

silveror0
    there are ways of having things matted and framed or presented so the grease / smoke from the restaurant
    and splatter of the sink doesn't bother or harm the prints. i was turned onto plakmounts by steve (sirus glass) here
    on apug and have a lot of my things plakmounted. the beauty of it is that the image is SEALED and if someone wants to buy it
    you give them the matted and framed one, not the plak'ed one ( unless they want the plak'ed one )

with regards to the bathroom, from what i remember, the mona lisa used to hang in the french emporer's bathroom, its not such a bad place to be ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lightwisps, that is fantastic.

Since I'm just down the road, once you get things sorted out, would you post the store's name? While I'm not in the market for high end furniture, I'd like to at least visit, and support a local store doing such a thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin