Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 947

marfa.tx

What Was The Gallery (1970s)

what was the name of the gallery on union street (san francisco) in the 70s.
    It was upstairs. Run by a woman, and she had bins of prints. Just about anyone with photographs could drop them off, she would estimate a price and put them in that area.
    She also showed many photographers on the walls...

extra thank you's if you know her name?

I wish I could remember...
    R..

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could it have been Thackrey & Robertson or The Poster (same gallery different owners)?

Shooter
    Large Format
    That would have been the Focus Gallery opened in 1966 by Helen Johnston. Helen exhibited my work in 1968, the same year that her bins contained Brett Weston's print of Garrapata Beach for $40.00. Wonderful woman with a real passion for photography. Helen died in 1989. A search should give you more information on Helen and the Focus.

Merg

www.mergross.com

marfa.tx
    merg, thanks very much... that is it... she was a very thoughtful person; she gave me interesting(helpful) comments almost every time I spoke with her -- '69-'72 when I was in SF as a student.

and now I can remember
    richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin