Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,192   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Today's Lenswork Audio Blog is pretty good

The topic is "The Magazine Rack at Barnes & Noble"
    http://www.lenswork.com/lwb.htm

I like the contrast he draws between writing magazines and photo magazines.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too allow Brooks Jensen into my home via his audio blog, and invariably find him of interest. The photographic equivalent of Alistair Cook’s “Letters from America” perhaps?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just had this thought that it'd be neat to have APUG audio blogs. We could get one of those free E-Mail-based voicemail numbers, and people could just call in their audio blog entry and have it automagically show up on APUG somewhere.

Right after that thought was the thought that that's way too digital. Maybe we could have an audio blog exchange where we send quarter-inch reel-to-reel audio tapes back and forth.

-KwM-

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Tape ? TAPE ? I won't stand for an exchange of such electronically recorded sound ! I could accept wax rollers or, at the very most, vinyl discs, but Tape ! come on...

Patrick Jan Van Hove
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera"
    Mamut Photo, The Ultra-Large-Format photography homepage

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just for the record, I listen to Brooks Audio blog every time, and I yet have to come across an entry that didn't at least got me thinking...
    Patrick Jan Van Hove
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera"
    Mamut Photo, The Ultra-Large-Format photography homepage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanhove
    Tape ? TAPE ? I won't stand for an exchange of such electronically recorded sound ! I could accept wax rollers or, at the very most, vinyl discs, but Tape ! come on...

Y'know... UNT (University of North Texas) supposedly has this big collection of 19th century wire recordings from ethnographers (or whatever they were called then) recording the stories and music of the American West period by the participants while they were still around. I wrote someone there once and suggested it would be a Great Thing to put those in a streaming archive online, but the RandomLibraryType I got just poopooed me and said "the people who run that collection know what they're doing and don't need any suggestions". harumph.

On a just barely connective thought...
    It's occured to me more than once that the duration of a 78 disc might be just right for the interval between checks when developing film by inspection. One of these days, I want to put an old hand-crank player (not all were made by Victrola) in the darkroom and time my development using 78s. If I switched to using a dimmed green flashlight for my inspection, I could even be oblivious to power outages. (:

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He's a good speaker isn't he? Very clear, good voice.

That's some darn good B&N. I don' thave anything early that many photo mags at my B&N.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Maybe we could have an audio blog exchange where we send quarter-inch reel-to-reel audio tapes back and forth.

-KwM-
    FYI,

According to the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago, all of the manufacturers of commercial reel-to-reel tape are now out of business as the recording industry has been converted to digital tapeless technology.

This situation has upset some musicians as they say they prefer the sound quality of reel-ro-reel.

So I would say the reel-to-reel exchange ain't gonna happen.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    I just had this thought that it'd be neat to have APUG audio blogs....
    Ughn. Call me a Luddite, but I HATE the idea of audio blogs -- unless they were something genuinely audio-related, like music or the sounds of camels falling through breaking glass. But to read text on the web -- yuck!!!!

It's not searchable, it's not private without wearing a funny hat, it can't be digested at a random or intermittent rate -- everything bad about using text to describe photography, with none of the benefits.
    Last edited by bjorke; 02-01-2005 at 09:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh man, you don't like audio blogs? I am a BIG fan of spoken word tapes, CD's, performances...you name it, I like it. Especially, when I'm driving, I love listening to books on tape. I just love the idea that someone is reading to me and only me. Especially, if they are good...like Steven King novels. He did a lot of them himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin