Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,718   Online: 1094

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...expect to be at it with some discipline for a long time before the epiphanies start to happen...

I am a student, learning something new every time I go in the darkroom. The most important lesson I've learned to date is that it sucks donkey balls to print inconsistent negs.
    Well said! When we stop being students or learning, it's time to throw in the towel! I have a long way to go, but everything is coming in steps. That helps, too. Learning first to be consistent, then working from there makes it easier!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It would be fun to see how many regular posters here could fairly effortlessly screw up Stone by adjusting their procedures with Neopan 400, Tri-X and HP5+ to make it impossible to tell which is which.

I bet a there wold be a lot who could.

Other than spectral response, within films of similar speed and construction (traditional vs. T-Max type) there really isn't anything that differentiates most films in a way that prevents a user from making one appear like another.
    great idea for a game-thread !
    "the stump thread"

too easy to stump everyone though, i would guess most people would get most their attempts wrong.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The most important lesson I've learned to date is that it sucks donkey balls to print inconsistent negs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Now THAT is genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    You should add that to your sig line.
    Hell, that should be APUG's sig line.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    One of the 4 isn't loading on my phone... I'll look on the computer when I get home but the second one (stairwell) looks like HP5+ at first glance.

I'll give my official answer when I can get a better look.
    So what's the verdict, Stone?!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So what's the verdict, Stone?!
    Haha, I wasn't able to get to my computer this weekend I just had a lot of catch up work, I'll try and look on my iPad later or perhaps I can do it Wednesday night when I come back from Boston for the holiday.

I'm curious to find out if I'm right. Kentmere is the wildcard as I've never shot on it before.

I'll certainly get to it as I said I'm curious myself
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The irony is that no matter what your answers are, even if they are correct, I could just as easily post another 4 images from the same films that exhibit characteristics opposite of those I previously uploaded.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked at the four images on my monitor and they all look exactly like digital images displayed on a LG Flatron monitor. And now that I think about it, all the images from the APUG Gallery also look exactly like digital images displayed on a LG Flatron monitor. That's interesting (not). Aside from the obvious differences, displaying digital representations of traditional work on a computer monitor is misleading at best. And as Chris has alluded to, he could have posted four digital images from a digital point-n-shoot.

Would I publish information about the equipment used in a book/publication? It depends on the purpose of the image in the book.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm amazed at the responses in this thread. If such an extra wiiiiide variety of different results can be had with a single film-developer combo, then what's the point in a film forum at all?

I'm sorry but it's all bullcrapola: consistency and repeatability is the name of the game. If your results are different, even slightly, it's probably time to get serious. The whole point of concistency is to be able to control the only thing you can control.

To the OP: I too would love to know the details of each photograph in a book.
    It would be really helpful and it would make me really happy trying to analyze them with those infos in mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    If such an extra wiiiiide variety of different results can be had with a single film-developer combo, then what's the point in a film forum at all?
    Doesn't that make a film forum MORE valuable? A simple example.

Rodinal + Tri-X... 1+25 rated at 800 and given N+ development with lots of agitation.

Rodinal + Tri-X... 1+100 rated at 200 and given N- development with little agitation.

You don't think this is going to give you very different results? (I know from experience that it does.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't that make a film forum MORE valuable? A simple example.

Rodinal + Tri-X... 1+25 rated at 800 and given N+ development with lots of agitation.

Rodinal + Tri-X... 1+100 rated at 200 and given N- development with little agitation.

You don't think this is going to give you very different results? (I know from experience that it does.)
    And once you know how to use those techniques, it's party time and overdue to make more photographs.

If anybody says to me that Tri-X looks a certain way, I'm quite confident I can create the opposite, within reason.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin