Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 765

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Docks: Nikon F3 - 35/1.4 - Neopan 400 @ 1600, with a Red25 filter, D76 1+0
    Stairs: Leica M2 - Summicron 50/2 Dual Range - HP5+ @ 200, Cachet AB55
    Alleyway: Leica M2 - Summicron 50/2 Dual Range - Kentmere 400 @ 400, Rodinal 1:50
    Snow: Leica M2 - Summicron 50/2 Dual Range - Tri-X at 400, Rodinal 1:50

for what it's worth, all of the following are also HP5+ in Rodinal 1:50, with the same M2/Summicron combination, some with a b+w mrc 090 red filter.

See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Why don't photographers include photo details in books?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Docks: Nikon F3 - 35/1.4 - Neopan 400 @ 1600, with a Red25 filter, D76 1+0
    Stairs: Leica M2 - Summicron 50/2 Dual Range - HP5+ @ 200, Cachet AB55
    Alleyway: Leica M2 - Summicron 50/2 Dual Range - Kentmere 400 @ 400, Rodinal 1:50
    Snow: Leica M2 - Summicron 50/2 Dual Range - Tri-X at 400, Rodinal 1:50

for what it's worth, all of the following are also HP5+ in Rodinal 1:50, with the same M2/Summicron combination, some with a b+w mrc 090 red filter.

That Bass shot is BEAUTIFUL!

Well, total fail! Haha originally I did think the stairs was HP5+ but then went with the alleyway.

I did also think the Neopan400 could have been pushed in that docks scene, as I said "over exposed horses"

And using filters and rating crazy extremes is a bit of trickery, then again you did say "with the right tools and skill you can use a film to look many ways" so ultimately looks like I fail haha.

Good job this was fun!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha thanks for putting up with my stubborn charades, Stone. There really was no way I would have expected anyone to be able to identify a set of 4 random images down to emulsion...I actually had considered putting up the selection of HP5+/Rodinal images that I just posted as a ruse, but I'm not that cruel...

But that's the point really, the only reason I even remember what developers were used for those images is because 99% of my film in the past 6 months has been processed in Rodinal 1:50, which makes it easy to remember the rolls on which I didn't use it. I have come to prefer HP5+ over Tri-X for exactly one reason, and one reason only: it dries a little flatter. As I said, I use them interchangeably, and will return to Tri-X when I get my box of Arista flavored Tri-X, and once that runs out, I'll probably go back to HP5+.

EDIT: funnily enough, that photograph of the bass and bassist is technically the worst photograph of the bunch by far. It is underexposed and underdeveloped. Exposed for EI 1600, developed for 400 with unintentionally weak developer. Just goes to show...
    Last edited by Chris Lange; 11-26-2013 at 02:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

--

Shooter
    Medium Format
    EDIT: funnily enough, that photograph of the bass and bassist is technically the worst photograph of the bunch by far. It is underexposed and underdeveloped. Exposed for EI 1600, developed for 400 with unintentionally weak developer. Just goes to show...
    Reminds me of Roy DeCarava, both in subdued tonality and subject matter. But have to say, the umbrella image is the standout. Very smart, if somewhat classical, use of space and perspective and contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work, Chris. I enjoyed the images, especially the second one in the second grouping - crazy shadows, man!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Haha thanks for putting up with my stubborn charades, Stone. There really was no way I would have expected anyone to be able to identify a set of 4 random images down to emulsion...I actually had considered putting up the selection of HP5+/Rodinal images that I just posted as a ruse, but I'm not that cruel...

But that's the point really, the only reason I even remember what developers were used for those images is because 99% of my film in the past 6 months has been processed in Rodinal 1:50, which makes it easy to remember the rolls on which I didn't use it. I have come to prefer HP5+ over Tri-X for exactly one reason, and one reason only: it dries a little flatter. As I said, I use them interchangeably, and will return to Tri-X when I get my box of Arista flavored Tri-X, and once that runs out, I'll probably go back to HP5+.

I enjoy images that break the rules and still look intriguing

When I scan in images, I include the film type, dev, and length of dev time, and scan DPI
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I enjoy images that break the rules and still look intriguing

When I scan in images, I include the film type, dev, and length of dev time, and scan DPI
    I used to write dev/camera used on my sleeves but I got sick of doing it. I may have written this in another thread before, but I approach my photography from the perspective of a chef, rather than that of a baker.

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris: I too like the bass shot. The tones are wonderful. But I believe it's the way you expressed the content that makes it inspiring. The humped over musician struggling with the weight of his instrument hanging on with a single hand. It's an eye grabber. When you come down to it, that's what makes a picture in the end - it's content and what it expresses to us. Well done. Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Chris: I too like the bass shot. The tones are wonderful. But I believe it's the way you expressed the content that makes it inspiring. The humped over musician struggling with the weight of his instrument hanging on with a single hand. It's an eye grabber. When you come down to it, that's what makes a picture in the end - it's content and what it expresses to us. Well done. Alan.
    Thank you Alan

You're absolutely right. I enjoy the tones, but they are really an accidental artifact of the processing. What I did know before pulling the negatives out of the tank, was that I wanted to print this negative because of how I remembered making the picture.

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really nice images, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin