Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,598   Online: 875

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that this question has been extensively answered in the thread, so I'm just going to give you a list of books that I own that include photo details.

They're all education/technical books on lighting and portraiture.

Lighting For Portrait Photography by Steve Bavister includes film format, film type, exposure details and lighting details

The Photographic Portrait by Robin Gillanders includes camera, lens and lighting details

Outdoor Lighting: Fashion & Glamour by Cathy Joseph includes camera, lens, film, exposure and lighting details

Portraits And Figures by Terry Hope includes camera, lens, film and exposure details.

I personally don't think that having access to these kind of informations is particularly propaedeutic and I'd much rather reading books about the photographers experience beyond the technical details.

If you're interested in having a peek behind the scenes, I'd recommend reading

Avedon At Work In The American West by Laura Wilson

Annie Leibovitz At Work by Annie Leibovitz

Revelations by Diane Arbus

Magnum Stories by Chris Boot

The New York Times Magazine Photographs by Kathy Ryan

The Contact Sheet by Steve Crist

The World's Top Photographers series of books (my favourites are the one about portraits and the fashion and advertising one)

And finally two guides that are extremely inspiring and detailed are

Train Your Gaze: A Practical And Theoretical Introduction To Portrait Photography by Roswell Angier

Exploring Colour Photography: A Complete Guide by Robert Hirsch

I realise that I've gone a bit OT considering the initial question, but I strongly believe that these books could be way more informative then photo details in regular photo books.

I love looking at photographers' work, but I think that if you're starting out, it's also good to read guides and educational books.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudia Moroni View Post
    I believe that this question has been extensively answered in the thread, so I'm just going to give you a list of books that I own that include photo details.

They're all education/technical books on lighting and portraiture.

Lighting For Portrait Photography by Steve Bavister includes film format, film type, exposure details and lighting details

The Photographic Portrait by Robin Gillanders includes camera, lens and lighting details

Outdoor Lighting: Fashion & Glamour by Cathy Joseph includes camera, lens, film, exposure and lighting details

Portraits And Figures by Terry Hope includes camera, lens, film and exposure details.

I personally don't think that having access to these kind of informations is particularly propaedeutic and I'd much rather reading books about the photographers experience beyond the technical details.

If you're interested in having a peek behind the scenes, I'd recommend reading

Avedon At Work In The American West by Laura Wilson

Annie Leibovitz At Work by Annie Leibovitz

Revelations by Diane Arbus

Magnum Stories by Chris Boot

The New York Times Magazine Photographs by Kathy Ryan

The Contact Sheet by Steve Crist

The World's Top Photographers series of books (my favourites are the one about portraits and the fashion and advertising one)

And finally two guides that are extremely inspiring and detailed are

Train Your Gaze: A Practical And Theoretical Introduction To Portrait Photography by Roswell Angier

Exploring Colour Photography: A Complete Guide by Robert Hirsch

I realise that I've gone a bit OT considering the initial question, but I strongly believe that these books could be way more informative then photo details in regular photo books.

I love looking at photographers' work, but I think that if you're starting out, it's also good to read guides and educational books.
    Thanks

This was a much better response than most so thank you and also, you didn't go OT at all.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks

This was a much better response than most so thank you and also, you didn't go OT at all.
    You're just saying that because she's a girl.

(I genuinely believe that )
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    You're just saying that because she's a girl.

(I genuinely believe that )
    No I'm saying that because she gave examples if books that have info AND agreed with me hahaha!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're right, the other 15 pages are worthless.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Large Format
    No I'm saying that because she gave examples if books that have info AND agreed with me hahaha!
    Not to be pedantic, but Claudia said she did not think that that information was propaedeutic. I am pretty sure that is a disagreement.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other people suggested books (including yours truly) and some also agreed with you. This thread has reached the meta level.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Not to be pedantic, but Claudia said she did not think that that information was propaedeutic. I am pretty sure that is a disagreement.
    You're right, I must have been blinded by her female user name... LOL

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Other people suggested books (including yours truly) and some also agreed with you. This thread has reached the meta level.
    And I thanked them too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks
    You're welcome

Well, as someone pointed out already, I didn't really agree with you. I can see why you might be interested in these info, I think most people are curious about this kind of stuff at the beginning (I know I was), but you'll soon find out that's pretty irrelevant.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin