Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,985   Online: 846

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've found after reading Ansel Adams's books, just knowing what value was placed where helps. For instance, placing 60 c/ft2 on ZVI means 30 will fall on V, and using the exposure formula, the information can be derived. In the above example, EI 64, at f/8, 1/30, or EI 125, at f/11, 1/30. It therefore follows, that at f/45 for EI 64 1 second is required, at EI 125 it's 1/2. Of course, he also included his n +/- offset. Since each film is different for each photographer, times aren't necessary, you just have to devise your own.

Trying to copy someone's "recipe" for developing their film can be a big stumbling block. Of course, if you own their meter, camera, lenses, etc, then it may work as expected. I've found it didn't for me! I basically expose for my vision and meter, placing things where I want them, not what may seem right to anyone else. That's the beauty of what we do! The knowledge of what anyone else did to make their images, therefore, serves very little purpose to my vision, as I can figure out what I need without their voices.
    Last edited by kintatsu; 11-27-2013 at 07:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Poor Spelling and Clarity.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Publisher don't like to include irrelevant information regarding photography in books and lives because public like to read only photographers experiences. They love to read imaginary story and pictures. They don't like to read which camera photographer's used to captured great pictures and why they love to used that camera as well as what's features of camera. How they captured pictures? So that's why no one like to include additional information of camera and their techniques.
    Portraits By Mina Oakville Photographers is famous portrait Professional Studio that offer all type of portrait photography with best customer services like business portraits, family portraits and executive portraits.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletBrown View Post
    Publisher don't like to include irrelevant information regarding photography in books and lives because public like to read only photographers experiences. They love to read imaginary story and pictures. They don't like to read which camera photographer's used to captured great pictures and why they love to used that camera as well as what's features of camera. How they captured pictures? So that's why no one like to include additional information of camera and their techniques.
    I doubt this is true because I always want to know that stuff but then again I'm not normal lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I doubt this is true because I always want to know that stuff but then again I'm not normal lol
    We know you're not normal Stone.

I doubt it's true also, but I think the reason has to do with the intent/focus of the book. Is the book about "the content/the pretty pictures" or is it a "how to".

Not saying it can't do both, it just normally isn't.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I just was introduced to this photographer in another thread: http://www.craigvarjabedian.com/

One of the links on his main page is called Processes & Tools. Seems like what you are looking for. I think it is interesting to see what materials and equipment photographers choose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    I just was introduced to this photographer in another thread: http://www.craigvarjabedian.com/

One of the links on his main page is called Processes & Tools. Seems like what you are looking for. I think it is interesting to see what materials and equipment photographers choose.
    I would be more interested in why heor she took the picture and what the photographer is trying to communicate with it. equipment is secondary at best.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I would be more interested in why he or she took the picture and what the photographer is trying to communicate with it. equipment is secondary at best.
    Bingo! He gets it!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just flipped to the back of John Sexton's Recollections (which is getting very dusty) and re-glanced over the tech pages. With all due respect to this revered photographer, even for his own students, is there anything more arbitrary than f stops? I've seen interviews with him, he's a very thoughtful guy, and I'm sure the addition of that information is nothing more than a genre convention. I've only ever observed it with traditional landscape photographers, who are usually engaged in 'workshop culture', where it might be encouraged to jot this information on the back of every print. It's quite a finicky habit then.

This Craig Varjabedian guy linked (whose images are very nice incidentally) clearly comes from the same school as Sexton. I think it comes down to the old 'taking/making' anxiety of this classic landscape genre - as if focal length, speed, aperture, developer etc. are somehow 'evidence' which can be supplied in the event of being challenged!
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's my thought, that other than mentioned above, it limits one to use the information. By trying to copy what tools and techniques a photographer used you limit yourself to the status of a mimic.

By knowing why and the photographers thoughts, a better impression can be gained. You also have some understanding of how to approach a similar subject or situation, whether to make it different or express a similar attitude.

That's the beautiful part of Ansel Adams "Examples," the stories and recollections. His impression and thoughts at the time clarify the image. By knowing the values and where they were placed, you can calculate the rest of the expossure. He usually tells his development, N, -, or +, so without giving you his development time, he tells the experienced photographer what to do with scenes like that if they wish to make something similar in expression or values.

He does the same in his Basic Photography series, which makes it a more useful tool than saying "I shot this at f/8, 1/60 and that's how you do it!" Remember, in photography, there is no true right and wrong. Right is what works for you.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin