Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,231   Online: 831

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    so is photography art?

I need to know.
    Maybe it's just a tool or a craft to make art with.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so is photography art?

I need to know.
    What is the answer? I will not sleep tonight if I do not know!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    let's go home guys, photography is over anyway.

See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes.

Sleep in peace.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so is photography art?
    It aspires to be, but usually fails. So do painting, sculpture, music, literature... (we're in good company).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Gotcha,

Well before meters existed photographers used a system that basically works in most conditions

The basic and most fundamental rule is the sunny 16 rule, where on a bright sunny day you should set that f-stop to f/16 and you match your shutter speed to the film speed (example an ASA100 film shutter should be 1/100 (or 1/125 is probably fine) and in the shade (but still bright day, it's f/11 and an overcast day is f/11 and heavy shade is f/8...
    Actually, meters were being used in the 1800s. They weren't what we think of as meters, but were used. Given that European aperture ranges were quite different from American ranges in the first halfish of the 20th century, that rules doesn't apply. It wouldn't have applied until about the late '30s-'40s. I have a Zeiss pamphlet scan from the '30s based on "Dr Max Leo's System," that lists out a given set of circumstances that together gave a mathematical formula to set your exposure.

Also, I'd like to know values for placements and as a reference point for the future. For instance, under sunny 16, I've had blown clouds and dark shadows. I found it good for narrower ranges of values, but I'd like something that allows me to work my way, and give me more usable information for my vision. Since I spend sometimes a longish time making an image, I'd rather stick to something quantified.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    If you want accuracy, digital is your man. If you want to spend your life trying to achieve 'accuracy' with traditional materials, well... John Sexton beat you to the punch.
    When speaking of accuracy, I'm refering to something that I can use. If I can have something quantified, it gives me more to work with. I also meter with digital, even it's in camera.

As for trying to "achieve" accuracy, it's not so much a destination. It's something I like to have as a point of reference and a tool for placements.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    No, digital methods are neither more nor less accurate than traditional materials, both can be done to very high levels of accuracy/quality, any real difference in accuracy or quality of result is generally imparted by the photographer in question.
    Accuracy is not an achievement, as I mentioned in another reply. I agree that materials are not a source of accuracy or inaccuracy. The source is the person behind the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why should analog photographers owe the viewer a complete technical break down of the time, place, equipment, processing, along with the intent for, taking, making, producing, creating, capturing, snapping, clicking the "subject" or "thing" in the film path? The image means nothing, it's the Triangle-BQ film rated at blah, blah, blah, in a Nikobladcoronette with a Petxitol lens after a sandwich and coffee during a 1000 feet climb up a mountain side. And having just shaved and wearing an Earney Foss backpack with a Woodpost tripod and a shimrron head at precisely 12 noon GMT on the blah, blah, blah.

Remember, document, document, document!

Mr. Blanksky could have said it better!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Why should analog photographers owe the viewer a complete technical break down of the time, place, equipment, processing...
    For that matter any photographer or artist?

I like to understand why a shot may have been made, the conversation or story can be quite interesting and a learning experience itself. The technical details, AKA chatter as Adams called it, don't matter to me. If I want to know more about the technical stuff, knowing what value was placed where is nice. Actual aperture, speed, film, developing, developer, paper, etc can be too big a bog for me to get trapped in. That's my take, I'm just another voice in everyone's head vying for attention.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin