Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,645   Online: 967
      
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 214
  1. #201
    AgX
    AgX is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,786
    Not in a book, but you rarely would get more information.

    Christopher Williams "Field of Vision":

    Those captions seem major part of the photographs from this series.


    Williams is sole professor photography at Düsseldorf Art Academy.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-29-2014 at 07:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #202
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,475
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Not in a book, but you rarely would get more information.

    Christopher Williams "Field of Vision":




    Those captions seem major part of the photographs from this series.


    Williams is sole professor photography at Düsseldorf Art Academy.
    Did you read the page?

    It makes no sense, mentions color and B&W film process together, and then color filters followed by RA-4 paper info... It makes no sevse.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  3. #203
    AgX
    AgX is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,786
    It basically makes sense if that photo had been colour corrected by external masking.
    Though in case of that dish washer listing Agfa Color, Plus-X Pan and Pan Masking Film in one process makes no sense. At least it is not the typical way to do.
    (The masking film and the Plus-X may have been used to make contrast reducing positive.)

    I even do not expect those captions to be verifyable...
    Last edited by AgX; 01-29-2014 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  4. #204

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,138
    google Annie libitiovz camera...
    or whatever

  5. #205
    DWThomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,254
    Images
    65
    OK, I've been ignoring this thread for -- good grief -- 21 pages, but being in the final frenzy of putting together a solo exhibition, here's what I think. Most viewers don't care -- results, results, RESULTS! We are geeks, we want to know, but we are not a huge percentage of the audience. I am hoping to get "gelatin silver print from infrared film" on a few of those so people have a hint why the "trees have white leaves."

    I am a member of an art club and deeply involved in putting on several shows each year. One of the things that amuses and annoys me is the handling of "medium" when submitting artists fill out the entry forms. Our major open juried show has five categories, one of which is for sculpture. It is quite common to find the medium filled in as "Sculpture" -- well, DUH! There's this shaped 3-dimensional object there with a title on it, I kinda suspected it was a sculpture. Is it stone, plaster, paper maché, painted cow flop? Some folks are curious! (But probably not very many -- unless they have to pick it up and carry it.)

    Carry on ...

  6. #206
    Maris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Noosa, Queensland, Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    OK, I've been ignoring this thread for -- good grief -- 21 pages, but being in the final frenzy of putting together a solo exhibition, here's what I think. Most viewers don't care -- results, results, RESULTS! We are geeks, we want to know, but we are not a huge percentage of the audience. I am hoping to get "gelatin silver print from infrared film" on a few of those so people have a hint why the "trees have white leaves."
    Carry on ...
    I too am in the last stages of organising a solo exhibition. It opens at Foto Frenzy on 3 February. But I insisted and got wall cards with catalogue standard descriptions for each photograph. Here's an example:

    Views of Snow Gums, Number 40
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant III VC FB photographic paper.
    Image size 20.3cm X 25.4cm by contact from a 8” X 10” Fomapan 200 negative
    exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a
    Schneider - Kreuznach Super-Angulon 121mm f8 lens.
    Signed and titled recto; stamped and annotated verso.
    From a series celebrating the giant and ancient Snow Gums of Charlotte Pass NSW.


    The idea is to suggest that there is a lot more to the picture than what it looks like. Maybe that will translate into sales if monied folks accept the sales pitch and recognise value enhancement. I'll find out in about a month.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

  7. #207
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,442
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I too am in the last stages of organising a solo exhibition. It opens at Foto Frenzy on 3 February. But I insisted and got wall cards with catalogue standard descriptions for each photograph. Here's an example:

    Views of Snow Gums, Number 40
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant III VC FB photographic paper.
    Image size 20.3cm X 25.4cm by contact from a 8” X 10” Fomapan 200 negative
    exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a
    Schneider - Kreuznach Super-Angulon 121mm f8 lens.
    Signed and titled recto; stamped and annotated verso.
    From a series celebrating the giant and ancient Snow Gums of Charlotte Pass NSW.


    The idea is to suggest that there is a lot more to the picture than what it looks like. Maybe that will translate into sales if monied folks accept the sales pitch and recognise value enhancement. I'll find out in about a month.
    Apart from "From a series celebrating the giant and ancient Snow Gums of Charlotte Pass NSW" is the other information of any interest?

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  8. #208
    DWThomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,254
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    [ ...]

    The idea is to suggest that there is a lot more to the picture than what it looks like. Maybe that will translate into sales if monied folks accept the sales pitch and recognise value enhancement. I'll find out in about a month.
    Sounds like an interesting idea, hope it works out. (Let us know how it goes.)

  9. #209
    Chris Lange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    764
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I too am in the last stages of organising a solo exhibition. It opens at Foto Frenzy on 3 February. But I insisted and got wall cards with catalogue standard descriptions for each photograph. Here's an example:

    Views of Snow Gums, Number 40
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant III VC FB photographic paper.
    Image size 20.3cm X 25.4cm by contact from a 8” X 10” Fomapan 200 negative
    exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a
    Schneider - Kreuznach Super-Angulon 121mm f8 lens.
    Signed and titled recto; stamped and annotated verso.
    From a series celebrating the giant and ancient Snow Gums of Charlotte Pass NSW.


    The idea is to suggest that there is a lot more to the picture than what it looks like. Maybe that will translate into sales if monied folks accept the sales pitch and recognise value enhancement. I'll find out in about a month.
    The information seems far too excessive, and it makes it look as if you are obsessed with your gear, rather than your work, and it makes the reader/viewer feel as if you are trying to force a "holier-than-thou" attitude down their throat. Also, you're missing the date. When in doubt, copy what the Met uses for their photographic exhibitions.

    Maris (Insert real name here)
    "Views of Snow Gums, No. 40", 20xx
    Gelatin-Silver Print
    8x10"
    (price)

    saying "20.3cm x 25.4cm" is pedantic as hell, especially when you say "from 8x10" in the same line, considering that 20.3 cm is equal to 7.99213"
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

    or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

  10. #210
    Maris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Noosa, Queensland, Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Apart from "From a series celebrating the giant and ancient Snow Gums of Charlotte Pass NSW" is the other information of any interest?
    The information is interesting to those who know what it means and appreciate the implications it carries. It may also prompt an inquiring but uninformed mind to learn what the words mean.

    But I concede it is possible there may be someone to champion the opposite idea, shun the words entirely, and declare (Cockney accent please), "Leave it out guv, it's all jest pitchers, innit?"
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin