Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,689   Online: 711

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you don't think it's important or relevant, or that you can just use one film for all situations either you're a magician or an idiot or delusional...
    Well, I don't see why what she does should be relevant to you, unless your goal is to copy her style. As for the magicians, idiots, and delusional, most of those that recommend sticking to one combination for awhile have decades more experience than you. For every roll, or sheet, you've developed, they've developed 500. Maybe they know a few things...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Well, I don't see why what she does should be relevant to you, unless your goal is to copy her style. As for the magicians, idiots, and delusional, most of those that recommend sticking to one combination for awhile have decades more experience than you. For every roll, or sheet, you've developed, they've developed 500. Maybe they know a few things...
    Maybe they know a few things because in their youth they tried all the films and then found what they liked and in their wisdom of sticking to on thing have forgotten how "wild" they used to be haha
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe they know a few things because in their youth they tried all the films and then found what they liked and in their wisdom of sticking to on thing have forgotten how "wild" they used to be haha
    Actually, I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying. Early on, we all search for the "magic bullet". Then, we decide we want to make good photographs, rather than bounce around between mediocre results from various combinations. It's at that point that we all simplified our materials. haha

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Why don't photographers include photo details in books?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Actually, I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying. Early on, we all search for the "magic bullet". Then, we decide we want to make good photographs, rather than bounce around between mediocre results from various combinations. It's at that point that we all simplified our materials. haha
    Nice burn! haha

Thankfully I don't think ALL of my images in my gallery are mediocre or I might be offended LOL
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone:

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shoot as many films as you like. If you enjoy that, then you should.

It will benefit you in different ways though if you concentrate on fewer films, and work carefully and closely with your lab on how to get the most of your materials.

Annie Leibovitz probably did print her early Rolling Stone work. If not, they were probably printed with her involvement. And the magazine's process then most likely was based on what were essentially photographs taken of the prints that were made conventionally by her or with her involvement.

Or if she shot slide material, the slides themselves were essentially photographed.

In most cases, in a blind test, it is just about impossible to identify categorically what film was used in a particular situation if there is an intermediary that is either digital in nature or if a photograph has been reproduced for publication. The intermediate steps add their own characteristics and get in the way.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Stone:

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shoot as many films as you like. If you enjoy that, then you should.

It will benefit you in different ways though if you concentrate on fewer films, and work carefully and closely with your lab on how to get the most of your materials.

Annie Leibovitz probably did print her early Rolling Stone work. If not, they were probably printed with her involvement. And the magazine's process then most likely was based on what were essentially photographs taken of the prints that were made conventionally by her or with her involvement.

Or if she shot slide material, the slides themselves were essentially photographed.

In most cases, in a blind test, it is just about impossible to identify categorically what film was used in a particular situation if there is an intermediary that is either digital in nature or if a photograph has been reproduced for publication. The intermediate steps add their own characteristics and get in the way.
    Well, I can almost always spot a kodachrome

Don't worry I'm thinning out my favorites... Slowly...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice burn! haha

Thankfully I don't think ALL of my images in my gallery are mediocre or I might be offended LOL
    Not what I meant, at all.... You've posted some images I really like. You've also posted some which, to me, weren't close to your best posts. I like your enthusiasm, am bothered by your occasional "just playing around" message accompanying some of your work, as if it's a preemptive apology for not being up to snuff, and am frustrated by your lack of interest in understanding any of the scientific aspects of this combination of science & art that is photography.

That being said, I wouldn't waste my time responding to your posts if I didn't think you have potential. I've enjoyed watching your images improve, and your desire to learn (albeit without actually doing the technical work...) *Now, that was a burn!.* For me the jury is still out as to whether you're someone who wants to be a photographer, or someone who likes to say they're a photographer. But, I am rooting for you...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly, I hope you feel better soon.

Secondly, I think you miss the point...

I'm constantly surprised and frustrated when I'm looking through a book of photographs by a famous photographer, and almost never is there any indication of what film it is or what developer was used.
    As you say, most 'famous' photographers wouldn't consider including that sort of information in a book of their work, just like Michelangelo wouldn't have posted a sign next to one of his sculptures detailing the chisels and hammers that he used.

I for one will never again suggest that you use only one film and developer, Stone. But as long as you are posting on the public boards in the 'frantic/all over the place' manner that you have been, others will. It's only natural.

I might, however, suggest a healthy dose of Ritalin.

End of grumpy rant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's probably also worth noting a couple of photographers who do include that sort of information and their reasons for doing so. Take John Sexton and Ansel Adams for example. Both of them often times include(d) technical details along with their photographs. But it's important to understand that while both men are(were) great photographers they are(were) also great teachers. Teaching is(was) a major part of their photographic experience. It is equally important to remember that not all artists are teachers, nor are they obligated to be.

Forgive my tense issues, it's late and I can't wait for these !*@#! prints to finish washing...
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 11-22-2013 at 12:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    It's probably also worth noting a couple of photographers who do include that sort of information and their reasons for doing so. Take John Sexton and Ansel Adams for example. Both of them often times include(d) technical details along with their photographs. But it's important to understand that while both men are(were) great photographers they are(were) also great teachers. Teaching is(was) a major part of their photographic experience. It is equally important to remember that not all artists are teachers, nor are they obligated to be.

Forgive my tense issues, it's late and I can't wait for these !*@#! prints to finish washing...
    Nothing you said sounded tense. And I agree I must seem a bit ... "All over the place" I'm better in my head but have trouble verbal icing often the concepts that I understand in my brain because they are often complex. I'm one of those borderline "stupid geniuses" lol (if you think I'm bad, you should meet my dad the physicist/theoretical physical chemist... Hah!).

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin