Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,099   Online: 1025

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Not what I meant, at all.... You've posted some images I really like. You've also posted some which, to me, weren't close to your best posts. I like your enthusiasm, am bothered by your occasional "just playing around" message accompanying some of your work, as if it's a preemptive apology for not being up to snuff, and am frustrated by your lack of interest in understanding any of the scientific aspects of this combination of science & art that is photography.

That being said, I wouldn't waste my time responding to your posts if I didn't think you have potential. I've enjoyed watching your images improve, and your desire to learn (albeit without actually doing the technical work...) *Now, that was a burn!.* For me the jury is still out as to whether you're someone who wants to be a photographer, or someone who likes to say they're a photographer. But, I am rooting for you...
    Haha! Nice!

Well the "playing around" images, do you mean like the FP100C bleached negative of my yard I posted? Or do you mean the "picture of my 4x5 camera" that has like 800 views?

If you mean the former, sometimes I want to share my experiments, if you mean the latter, well if you don't like that image you are not my target audience for that genre.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Nothing you said sounded tense.
    Was that a joke?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Why don't photographers include photo details in books?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Was that a joke?
    No, I mean it, I didn't read any aggression or tension in your words. So when you apologized I was surprised.

I even laughed at the "posting all over in the manner you do" Or however you said it, it made me laugh.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's probably also worth noting a couple of photographers who do include that sort of information and their reasons for doing so. Take John Sexton and Ansel Adams for example. Both of them often times include(d) technical details along with their photographs. But it's important to understand that while both men are(were) great photographers they are(were) also great teachers. Teaching is(was) a major part of their photographic experience. It is equally important to remember that not all artists are teachers, nor are they obligated to be.

Forgive my tense issues, it's late and I can't wait for these !*@#! prints to finish washing...
    Tense
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_tense

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Haha! Oh grammatical tense, that was a strange way to phrase it.

Anyway, I jump all over tense's too so I didn't notice that either lol!

Ok world, gnight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tense:

1tense

noun \ˈten(t)s\grammar : a form of a verb that is used to show when an action happened

not

2tense

adjective
    : nervous and not able to relax

Was that a joke?
    Originally Posted by StoneNYC
    Nothing you said sounded tense.

Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    StoneNYC, you need to get a copy of "Age of Silver" and "Celebrating the Negatives."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it's pretentious at all, I just think that I guess my perspective is wow this image is beautiful but so grainy and I'd love to know how it was made and what it was made with. Even just out of curiosity not because I want to mimic it.

It doesn't matter but it kind of does matter in that if the image that looks so beautiful grainy were ultra sharp and digital looking then maybe wouldn't be such an interesting photograph because the textures would've changed.
    I think part of the reason might be that they dont *remember* around the time they are publishing the book? Sure, the film info is right there, but unless its output as part of the data - who would remember exposure data - if development processes are more or less stabilised? Maybe there were notes, maybe there weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    just like looking at images at a museum or gallery ... photographers ( film photographers ? ) put their nose as close to the glass as possible
    to look at the details &c and have no concept of viewing distance .. it is kind of embarrassing ...

personally, i don't really care about what kind of film, paper, lights and all the technical "stuff"
    because to me the "chi" is the image, now all the crap used to make it...

YMMV
    Yes, have to agree on the viewing distance. It is hard to convey that to people - especially if you are used to zooming things. I found it quite difficult to explain how film grain will exist to a friend viewing a 3'x4' at about <15" distance - when he kept going on about digital being cleaner. (The digital was, at 100% and about 1/3rd the size of the film image) - "GRAIN is BAD" we are taught by digital manufacuters, remember?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think this story is about Vivian Mailer...
    When asked at an exhibition how the grain was achieved said 'I drop the film off at drug stores'

A few people who test lenses properly will then admit that the difference between the two lenses would only be apparent shooting of a similar support (tripod).

If you need a repeatable signature or look e.g. like the 19th century impressionist school then you will need to control your process and keep records.

For example

There is a considerable difference between a single coated lens and a multi coated lens even for the same optics like the Cosina Voightlander 40mm which is available in either - with SC or MC on the name plate.

Some people will see the difference and ask what film gave those colours. The effect occurs even with a DSLR and can also be detected in mono. When I was asked the question the answer took a while. 'That was Fugi 400 C41 with a Canon 35mm /1.8 from '57 at /5.6, the pastel shades are from the sIngle coating and contrajour' note I had used a deep hood and French flag to avoid any obvious flare. But I had not seen the to me subliminal pastelisation because I had not looked.

The SC lenses compress scean contrast, for high contrast there is more compression, the compression is by spilling highlights light into shadows.

Sadly not everyone keeps records. You also need to ignore the friendly trolls...

Sir Alexander Fleming was a good lab worker one bad Petri dish - penicillin mould, so he sent his lab assistant out for a second sample of the mould, she needed to survey a number of street sellers barrows and debris before locating a sample- dedication.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the "playing around" images, do you mean like the FP100C bleached negative of my yard I posted? Or do you mean the "picture of my 4x5 camera" that has like 800 views?

If you mean the former, sometimes I want to share my experiments, if you mean the latter, well if you don't like that image you are not my target audience for that genre.
    I like the bleached negative experiment. I shoot nudes, too (a few in my gallery posts) so that genre interests me, but I don't think the photo you mention works. I guess I sometimes think your "playing" is out of laziness, or not really having complete control of your materials. The coffee images come across that way, to me anyway...

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin