Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,084   Online: 801

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Stone for prez
    word

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    You reckon you're frustrated, well I'm driven to the point of anguish when looking at most photo-books by not knowing what is being offered to my gaze.
    Does it matter? Can't you judge the image as it is without internal thoughts about how it was made. It exists before you, right here right now. Appreciate what you see without internal judgement about production.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Stone for prez
    Someday
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    You reckon you're frustrated, well I'm driven to the point of anguish when looking at most photo-books by not knowing what is being offered to my gaze.

Ok, I can see the page in the book bears a picture and it is probably a print made by web offset photo-lithography like much of high end printing these days. But the burning question for me remains "What does the picture in the book illustrate?"

Sometimes the picture in the book IS the final work itself. The photogravures in Alfred Stiezlitz's Camera Work periodical are artworks in their own right and that's why many have been cut out, auctioned , and framed. The same goes for pages out of Ansel Adams' Parmelian Prints of the High Sierras.

Sometimes the picture in the photo-book is an illustration of a physical photograph that exists somewhere. I'd love to know "what medium on what substrate", how big is it (in long measure not pixels!), who made it, how was it made, when was it made, does it have a signature or other annotations? I've looked at thousands of photographs over several decades and I know well the frisson that goes with being in the presence of a great photograph. I wish the photo-book would give me enough clues so I could recreate a parallel experience in my imagination.

Sometimes the picture in the photo-book is a "print-out" of an electronic file that does not have (never did have?) a descriptive relationship to something with physical existence. I'm thinking of negative scans recalculated as positives, stitches, HDR's, and all the other electronic chicanery. Do I accept the picture in the photo-book as the artwork itself, a la Camera Work, or do I dismiss it as "never existed, didn't happen, never looked like this" and move on to something with physical provenance? I do wish the photo-book would be explicit about this so I don't feel soiled by accidentally and momentarily selling my soul for a swarm of pixels.

wow .. i feel sorry that you can't just enjoy looking at something just for being what it is, in a book or magazine,
    and you have to go through such stress because it might have been made with a non-silver medium.
    i hate to imagine a time in the future when there will be very few contemporary silver based images in publications
    and it causes you to self destruct ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Vanity Fair piece by Annie Leibovitz was interesting. A friend of mine was one of her assistants in the 90's. He has some funny stories which I won't repeat but he did say she had a fleet of Fuji 6x9s at the time, among other things. I didn't think she came off too well in the BBC piece on the Queen but it is entertaining to watch.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    The Vanity Fair piece by Annie Leibovitz was interesting. A friend of mine was one of her assistants in the 90's. He has some funny stories which I won't repeat but he did say she had a fleet of Fuji 6x9s at the time, among other things. I didn't think she came off too well in the BBC piece on the Queen but it is entertaining to watch.
    Haha was he the one she was talking about who didn't know what he was doing? LOL
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographs are photographs. The influence that each photographer has, as a person, a technician, and as an artist, has 100 times more impact than the materials they use. The photographs are about them, what they wish to express and what they want you to feel. Why should any of the information regarding how it was made be of any importance at all? The end result is what's important, and since that is so utterly influenced by the person that created it, why should mundane technicalities like choice of film and film developer, or software or other hardware, even be a consideration?

Take the cameras, films, developers, and other materials, use them, and work them and work them and work them until you have what you want. Your own knowledge, expertise, experience, and ability is 95% of the outcome.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why don't photographers include photo details in books?

@Stone: I know you're just joking but no, no way not this guy. Super smart and talented. He works for himself in NYC now, has for years. Back on topic, have you read the Lustrum press Darkroom books? From the 70s but full of the information you're looking for.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    @Stone: I know you're just joking but no, no way not this guy. Super smart and talented. He works for himself in NYC now, has for years. Back on topic, have you read the Lustrum press Darkroom books? From the 70s but full of the information you're looking for.
    So are you going to recommend me to him as an assistant? then I can learn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha! Can't help you there, but aren't you learning the way up a different industry?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin