Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Christmas Gift Idea - Vivian Maier Street Photographer - Book

Was just doing some straightening up around here and came across the caption book. Wow, I am just blown way every time I look throughout it. Maier was a true original with some of the same photoDNA as contemporaries such as Arbus, Model, Weegee etc. The discovery of Maier is really a once in a lifetime event. Can't recommend it highly enough, especially at the price point! If your family is asking you what you want for Christmas, please put this book on the top of the list. You will not regret!

J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2013-11-30 at 11.00.13 PM.png  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds great!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I must be the only one on Earth who finds her work completely mundane.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    The excellent photography magazine here in France, "Reponses Photo" did a major article on her a couple of months ago, and I'm definitely getting that book. It ran about a dozen of her pictures, and I thought they were fantastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I must be the only one on Earth who finds her work completely mundane.
    Yep, you are probably right. But don't feel too bad. Everyone has different tastes in art as well as food and women. If everyone were the same this would be a very boring world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    The excellent photography magazine here in France, "Reponses Photo" did a major article on her a couple of months ago, and I'm definitely getting that book. It ran about a dozen of her pictures, and I thought they were fantastic.
    I wonder what she would have thought about everything that has happened since she passed? I wonder if she would have done anything differently if she had known?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    From the 3 page long bio in the article, it seems she stayed single all her life, was certainly an introvert, and took pictures simply because she loved to do so. It seems like she hardly ever showed anybody anything, which in itself is kind of amazing. Apparently, there was a large number of undeveloped films in the collection the guy bought at the storage auction and the only reason people can come up with, why they were never processed, is that she was unable to afford it. I believe she was a nanny for the last part of her life, and if her health was failing a little, I can well imagine she would be short of $$$.
    That's why I am getting this book for sure, hoping there will be some answers as to why a person would spend a huge amount of time and a good portion of her disposable income taking some really great pictures, and pretty much keep them hidden.
    I realize that now and then a "media darling" is created, simply because it's a good story. But, in my opinion, she was a superb photographer, and never had a minute's training.
    I have the funny feeling, that even had she known, she may not have done things too much differently.
    A very interesting story.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    From the 3 page long bio in the article, it seems she stayed single all her life, was certainly an introvert, and took pictures simply because she loved to do so. It seems like she hardly ever showed anybody anything, which in itself is kind of amazing. Apparently, there was a large number of undeveloped films in the collection the guy bought at the storage auction and the only reason people can come up with, why they were never processed, is that she was unable to afford it. I believe she was a nanny for the last part of her life, and if her health was failing a little, I can well imagine she would be short of $$$.
    That's why I am getting this book for sure, hoping there will be some answers as to why a person would spend a huge amount of time and a good portion of her disposable income taking some really great pictures, and pretty much keep them hidden.
    I realize that now and then a "media darling" is created, simply because it's a good story. But, in my opinion, she was a superb photographer, and never had a minute's training.
    I have the funny feeling, that even had she known, she may not have done things too much differently.
    A very interesting story.
    Can we conclude then that she's an interesting personality first and a half decent photographer second?

Photography can be a lonely vocation at the best of times and I think the real value of Vivian Maier lies in a kind of lifestyle catharsis for the tireless photographer. This is something that seems to appeal to even the most well regarded and arguably, better image makers, like Joel Meyerowitz and Alec Soth, who enjoy her.

I won't, however, be buying her book and here's a few reasons why from my reading list:

Jem Southam - Landscape Stories
    Peter Mitchell - Strangely Familiar
    Chris Killip - Work
    Gerry Johansson - Deutschland
    Keith Arnatt - I'm a real photographer
    Simon Roberts - We English
    Joachim Brohm - Ohio
    Steve McCurry - South Southeast
    Christian Patterson - Redheaded Peckerwood
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm yet to see much critical analysis of her work, especially on APUG, but I'll offer something. Despite my feelings about her label as a 'forgotten great', there are few photographers whose work still has a full impact when printed almost completely straight.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Hey..great idea..but I would expand the list to any book that has been produced by members of this forum! I would love to see the works of other photographers in this site! Is it ok to ask people to make their work known on here?

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin