Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,532,000   Online: 1162

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

HBO documentary series: Bruce Weber YouthArts

I forget the exact title of the series but HBO is producing a documentary series about the YouthArts program where talented young artists from around the country are given opportunities to work with big name artists in their chosen media for a several month project, culminating in an exhibition/performance of the work they produced. The photography episode was produced in 2013 (I suspect then the filming was done in 2012 but I could be wrong). The mentor was Bruce Weber, who still shoots his work with a Pentax 67 and a Rolleiflex 2.8GX. Throughout the show he was always toting the Rolleiflex. I was tickled by that, and even more tickled when he took them to see John Dugdale and do a shoot at John's studio in Manhattan. John was a huge inspiration for me - sitting in his studio and listening to him talk about his work and how he makes it was life-altering, and I was already in my late 30s when I had that experience. I can't imagine what it would have been like to meet him and experience shooting with his 11x14 Deardorff as a teenager who had possibly never even seen a medium format film camera before walking into Bruce's studio the day before, let alone a behemoth like John's 'dorff. If you have HBO Go, it's well worth checking out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks for the headsup Scott…one of the few times I regret not having HBO anymore

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin