Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,175   Online: 721

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book placement

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Book placement

I have recently produced book of 62 black & white images (not a one off digital copy) but printed. Marketing is not something I’m good at and I wondered if some APUG members have or would have done the same, could they suggest where I may place a copy (without being rude) for sale or return or promotion?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Analog camera stores if you have any there. (There is one within 100 miles of me and it is going digital.) Gift shops. I would try in tourist areas. Seaside? I'd think about antique shops, offbeat restaurants. You might think of doing a display of the equipment that makes the photos unique along with copies of the book. I would try to get "ink" (publicity) from small local newspapers and on local TV. Also any retail place where you are well known. Hobby and craft shops. Local arts and craft centers. You could give a speech about your art to local business, womens' and civic clubs. Goo luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have recently produced book of 62 black & white images (not a one off digital copy) but printed. Marketing is not something I’m good at and I wondered if some APUG members have or would have done the same, could they suggest where I may place a copy (without being rude) for sale or return or promotion?
    I suggest to go to a book store or good library and find books with similar content.Then contact those publishers and approach them with your idea. a book fair would be a perfect start.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure whether this applies Clive, as you seem to have the book at an advanced stage, but anyway.
    I've attended a couple of talks with Dewi Lewis the book publisher. His talks are straight to the point and he doesn't pull punches about the photo-book publishing world and the chances of getting published.
    Might be worth having a look at his 'submissions' page on his website as a starter.

http://www.dewilewis.com/pages/submissions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given where you are, and the sort of work of yours I have seen on your site, I would have thought both the Newlyn and Exchange gallery bookshops must be worth a punt, and certainly places like the Alverton Gallery

+ I have just remembered that the manager of the bookshop at Tate St.Ives is a photographer (Barry Sinton) - so erhaps also wprth aproaching
    Last edited by pdeeh; 03-01-2014 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As mentioned, independent booksellers would be good, but note that your pricing will need to net them a margin of 20% + or -

Shooter
    Large Format
    a library with a " special collections" since this is a single edition .
    its not easy selling photographic books. a college acquaintence who
    works at amphoto once told me" there are only two types of
    photography books that sell.. an instructional book, and a book by or of someone famous
    or well known "
    and with the sea of self published books its even harder ..

i love selling work to libraries because long after i am dead and gone someone
    might look through a catalog find the dewey decimal entry and get to look at my work,
    and libraries like getting books ready to put in their collection.

good luck with the book cliveh
    john

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks guys for all the useful suggestions and pdeeh I am in talks with Newlyn/Exchange gallery bookshop, but thanks for the name of Barry Swinton at the Tate. Are you local to this area?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no but i know it very well indeed ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    no but i know it very well indeed ...

Ah yes, standing stones, we have lots of those.

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin