Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,896   Online: 1082

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Generation V – Black & White Photography from Yosemite: 4/6 t0 5/31, 2014

I am part of a show going up at the Ansel Adams Gallery soon. Will be at the opening! (I'll have a carbon print or two up). Hope to see ya there!
    I also hope to be there April 13 to 16, with my boys.

Vaughn

From the Ansel Adams Gallery...

In the later years of his life, Ansel Adams was frequently spotted driving in and around Yosemite, clearly identifiable by the vanity plates adorning his car. These plates read "Zone V," and were an homage to the math and science behind the art of photography. This mathematical Zone System, which Ansel developed along with Fred Archer in the mid-1930's, consisted of 11 zones of light, with zone V - or middle grey - representing the center of the scale. It became the industry standard for photographers attempting to convert the quality of the light they were physically seeing into the most functional (and ultimately, powerful) negative possible. Simply put, the Zone System made life more organized for anyone working in the photographic medium, and it helped dictate Ansel's proficiency in capturing the images of Yosemite that have resonated with generations of photographers, visitors, and of course, politicians.

As part of our continuing celebration of The Yosemite Grant's 150 anniversary, The Ansel Adams Gallery will put forth its own tribute to the Zone System by hosting an exhibition dedicated to contemporary photographers working in the exposure, developing and/or printing process that Ansel espoused many years ago, and who continue the tradition of using the Zone System to chronicle the beauty of Yosemite. Titled "Generation V," this exhibition will include work by John Sexton, Alan Ross, Jeff Conley, Vaughn Hutchins, Kerik Kouklis, Mark Citret, Bob Kolbrener and Ray McSavaney, and will open on April 6th and close on May 31st, 2014 with a reception for artist's held on May 10th from 3-5 PM.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful, Vaughn! I'm glad to hear it, but sad I live so far away. Those are some impressive names next to yours. Well done!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations Vaughn
    May would be a nice time to visit the valley, but I don't think I could make it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations, Vaughn. I wish you a wonderful experience and a good response from the visitors. Please say hi to John, Anne, and Alan, if you see them.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool! Congrats!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin