Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,275   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

LIFE Magazines on Google Books

When I started High School, I read every LIFE Magazine I could get my hands on, the school library had a full set and let me wander the stacks...

I'm sure those days shaped my photographic eye, though I can't really prove it directly...

I feel like a kid again, here they are ready to leaf through...

For example LIFE Feb 13, 1950 contains the article where one of my favorite HCB photographs was published...

http://books.google.com/books?id=FlM...page&q&f=false

Shooter
    35mm

agreed

I agree with you abut Life Magazine. But scrolling through that edition is embarrassing. Some of that stuff. All those booze and ciggy ads. The Lord Calvert ad nautical dude looks a lot like Thurston Howell III from Mary Ann's -- whoops, Gilligan's -- Island. And 300 bucks for a 16 inch Philco TV? My folks would never pay such an outrageous amount for a TeeVee and get maybe three stations. HCB's photos, of course, are fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Bill,

Back in 1958 I was published 1/2 page in LIFE - see the left image on page 46 of http://books.google.com/books?id=bj8...page&q&f=false

I hadn't looked at it in years.

Shooter
    35mm

great

Great stuff, Prof. I have had thousands of photos published in newspapers and magazines around the world but exactly one in Life. I wasn't aware you could look that issue up. I'll have to do so. Let's see, it was 1970, the Millrose Games....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love looking through old magazines. I love the graphic style, the imagery, the photos, everything.

And don't be too harsh when casting judgement on the past. Our turn to be judged is coming.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    And don't be too harsh when casting judgement on the past. Our turn to be judged is coming.
    Yup!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My uncle had every issue from the very beginning. I too was impressed by the photography. Unfortunately when they moved to Florida the magazines were just too heavy to ship and had to be left behind.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The cover price says it all. 25 cents. Life and Look were always my favorite magazines growing up, along w/ Hot Rod. Uncle Ralph had the REAL good magazines, but they were hidden away from Aunt Emma pretty well. Lots better than National Geographic, let me tell you!

This was the cover off the forerunner of Hot Rod, back in 1941. They sure should have kept the original name. The interesting thing is that the guy who built the first belly tank lake race car was.....Bill Burke. Pretty close.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hot+...2F%3B800%3B531
    Last edited by momus; 06-14-2014 at 08:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    The cover price says it all. 25 cents. Life and Look were always my favorite magazines growing up, along w/ Hot Rod. Uncle Ralph had the REAL good magazines, but they were hidden away from Aunt Emma pretty well. Lots better than National Geographic, let me tell you!
    The ones promoting the nudist lifestyle?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was neat! Thanks for posting.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin