Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,559   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes by Christopher James?

I'm taking a hiatus from traditional photography, but alternative processes appeal to me, especially things like making your own paper, coating it, and maybe camera-less/enlarger-less processes. Would the above book be a good one? It sells for a LOT of money, so I have to think about it before buying something like this. Is anyone familiar w/ the book? There's a lot of free material on the web, but I much prefer sitting (sleeping) in the recliner w/ a book. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    60$ on ebay and amazon. But definitely it would be good to hear recommendation from somebody on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't read this book, but Christopher James is a well respected practitioner and teacher here in the Boston area, so I suspect his book is very good. That said, I learned several non-silver printing processes back in the 80's, and our textbook was The Keeper's of Light, which can be found for considerably less money, so you might check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Keepers-Li...pr_product_top

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keepers of Light is a marvellous read, and not just because it contains details of the processes - it has an excellent angle on photography and photographic history ... plus I picked mine up for £1.99 in an Oxfam shop

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the book, and it is an excellent reference. If you're serious about alt processes, it's a book that deserves a place in your collection. But don't buy it from Amazon, go help keep your local bookseller in business (think of it as buying more film ).

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I consider it one of the must haves. The books is very well written and also has some formulas that are not that well known. If you don't have the money to buy it you can download some chapters of the books without illustrations from christopher james's website or google them. The new version (3rd Edition available fall of 2014) seems to include some of the more obscure processes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Excellent book. Get at least the second edition -- I have not yet seen the third edition (if it is in print yet). But I am a little biased...I have a couple images in the second edition...don't know if any survived and made it into the third.

Lots of history, practical how-to info, and well printed examples. It is Keepers of the Light taken a few levels upwards.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It is a good book, especially for those new to alternative processes. The basics are there and well detailed for the beginner.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have this book and consider it the bible for alt process. Third edition is not out yet, however will be this year. It will become part of my library when it does become available. James does workshops in various locations including Santa Fe Workshops. Worth the time and effort to get there. Many processes covered in a short period of time. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm

C. James/Alt

Christopher told the class I attended, "3rd Ed would be out end of (Last) summer…." here it is almost a year later, so don't hold your breath….I consider his books the most complete, informationally, but a little too geared to the hobbyist/fun and games approach. If your shooting for a more serious/professional approach then +1 on The Keepers of Light and my second choice, Historic Photographic Processes by Farber, if your going back to the beginning (IE: Calotype paper negs….) you'll need Alan Green's "Primitive Photography" considered the bible on that subject. So many others; Arentz for Platinum & palladium, Scopick for Gum Bichromate and The Darkroom Cookbook 3rd ed PLUS The Film Developing Cookbook by Anchell will be invaluable reference tomes…. Sounds like you are already hip to how important Denise Ross and her site "The Light Farm" is…. Good Luck, it's a real historic path to travel. Bill
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin