Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,523   Posts: 1,645,691   Online: 760

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lenswork Extended

www.lenswork.com

The new Lenswork Extended is a sister publication to the paper Lenswork magazine, but instead of printed on paper it will include much more but only provided on CD.

What's your take on this new addition to Lenswork?

Personally, I like having the paper in my hand and not having to sit at the computer to read. The addition of movies and extra audio clips is very interesting though. Too bad you can't have the best of both where you receive the paper magazine with only the extras on CD (or maybe just the extra photos, audio, and video). I may toss some birthday (this weekend, yay!) money at the first issue, #57, but it's doubtful.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Realistically, I doubt that the demand for a pure 'extras only' CD would warrant the time and effort to produce. The print version of the journal is already in electronic form, but the 'extra' content has to be prepared. I doubt people who like the print version would swap, but there might be extra sales for the electronic version above just those wanting the additional material.

My experience with their electronic offerings has been good - they know what they are doing. While I spend quite enough time in front of a computer as it is, I may give them a try. I expect my print library wil always exceed my electronic one, however.

Ultimately, 'you pays your money, and you take your choice'.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I subscribe to Lenswork, the magazine, because I want the magazine. I like the printing, and its the only magazine that I routinely save. In fact, when it arrives, I immediately treat it as though it is a book, because it will eventually be filed in my bookshelf.

I seriously doubt that I would subscribe to a CD version.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    What's your take on this new addition to Lenswork?
    I'm not sure quite yet, I need to look over the website a little more. I like the idea, if, the materials on the CD are in a form - PDFs would be fine - that they could be copied to my hard drive, that way I could take it with me when I travel.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I like the magazine, I keep several by the bath because I never tire of looking at them. I will probably buy the CD too, there never seems to be enough artistic and informational material..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    I subscribe to Lenswork, the magazine, because I want the magazine. I like the printing, and its the only magazine that I routinely save. In fact, when it arrives, I immediately treat it as though it is a book, because it will eventually be filed in my bookshelf.

I seriously doubt that I would subscribe to a CD version.
    I feel the EXACT same way! (It's the ONLY magazine that has found a place on my bookcase for special books... That's saying a lot about the content)

I like the idea of extras, but I like having the book in my hand more.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Lenswork the magazine and will continue to subscribe to it. I have absolutely no desire to have any reading or photographic material on any device that requires viewing on a monitor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    last year I ordered the back issues on CD. While it is nice to have access to all the articles and essays, I would gladly have paid twice as much for actual back issues.

I suppose from a cost stand point it is less expensive to produce CDs then an actual magazine or add content on more pages. Perhaps they are hoping to reach a tipping point in CD subscriptions that would begin to offset some costs of print production.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    last year I ordered the back issues on CD. While it is nice to have access to all the articles and essays, I would gladly have paid twice as much for actual back issues..
    Jim, I was thinking about ordering these back issues on CD, but have balked so far. Is the quality high enough and is there anything lacking? Just wondering what you think about the CD set of back issues.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I have absolutely no desire to have any reading or photographic material on any device that requires viewing on a monitor.
    So you're reading the paperback version of APUG? (Sorry...couldn't resist.)

I'm going to try out the Extended version of LesnWork. I figure that for $30 for the first year it's not much of a risk. I'll continue to get the printed version as well. For me, images are better captured on film than on a sensor, and are better viewed on paper than on a screen. Having said that, I think the idea of audio commentary and interviews is great, and I also think that having access to the full portfolios of the photographers is a good thing, even if I have to look at them on screen. Given the limitation in size of the magazing, this is a "Better something than nothing" proposition for me.

(My apologies if two messages with the same basic content show up from me in this thread. I posted one last night, but it seems to have disappeared into a black hole.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin