Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,898   Online: 1150

Shooter
    Multi Format

Abstract Landscapes at Haven Studio (My Small Show)

I am opening my 1st-ever exhibition in the United States this Friday, August 1st 2014, at 6PM at Haven Studio, 316 West Yellowstone, Casper, Wyoming. If you have a chance to visit, it would be pleasure to meet you there. You can see a preview of the twelve prints which I am taking to this show on my web site:

Although I've been doing silver-gelatin photography for a fairly long time, just over 30 years, I am pretty new to the world of showing it publicly. This will be the 3rd time I have exhibited in the last few years, and I am keen to get feedback. Since many of you are more experienced than me, feel free to share your thoughts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mud-Canyon-X-by-Rafal-Lukawiecki-rafal.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	91850

Thank you,
    Rafal
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks good!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoyed looking around your site. Fine work and best of luck with the show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful images. I'm sure they will be well received.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fantastic Rafal. I'd be very proud of them.
    I'd be interested to know how you made Tumbleweed and especially Twisted Tree? even though you have a complicated backdrop the subject stands out so seperate and clear. Is it just the light or have you worked som magic there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you guys, very much, it's nice to hear the encouragement.

JammyB: thanks for noticing this, I was hoping to get that effect when I exposed the negatives. In both cases the photos were made at sunrise, the background is still naturally darker, and the rising, low sun is "stage lighting" the tree and the tumbleweed. Also, in the case of the tumbleweed, the shape of the narrow slot canyon further enhanced the drama of the low angle lighting. Whilst printing, I have burned the background in the twisted tree print, and I have also done a few burns around the tumbleweed to balance it. I think the print looks better than the digital reproduction, due to the way the shadows kind of blend on the computer screen. If you have a chance, look at the images on a Retina iPad, it pops them a bit more.
    Last edited by Rafal Lukawiecki; 07-27-2014 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Rafal,

Your show looks great! I especially like Unnamed Glacier and Absaroka Mountains. Best of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Bill. I am looking forward to printing it a bit bigger than 11x14, there's a group of trees in the lower-right that provides a context for the glacier, which does not show too well on a small screen.

By the way, if anyone could let me know what is the species that happens to be the twisted tree, seen at http://rafal.net/gallery/photo/twist...aricopa-point/ I'd be grateful. I'm not sure if it is a small juniper, or a rock rose, or something else.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful set of images, Rafal.. I whish I could see those prints "in flesh".
    | website | ipernity thing |

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I enjoyed the pictures and I hope the exhibition attendees do too.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin