Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,689   Online: 714

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

The Ongoing Moment: A Book About Photographs

I would like to recommend this book which was recently mentioned on the UK analogue website.

The poster summed it up as “This book may have been mentioned before but I just wanted to take a moment to recommend it to FADU members. It is by Geoff Dyer. It is a sort of rumination on photography using some Americans from the 20th Century as a sort of hub (Steiglitz, Strand, Arbus, Evans to name a few) and which uses certain subjects or sub-subjects like hats, benches etc around which to thread this rumination. It is not academic and strident like say Sontag, rather it is whimsical and thought provoking and imbued with the love of photographs.

It was first published in 2005 but has been relatively recently paperbacked (2012) by Canongate with ISBN 9780857864017.

If you like subtle, clever and closely observed writing I suspect you will like this book.”

I added to this “I read and re-read this book a few years ago. It is a very interesting take on the history of photography quite different from the usual ones.

What is unusual is that is such a personal exploration focusing more on content (and repeating motives) rather than a linear history of the first XXX did this and then YYY did this, etc, etc.

Well worth a read.

The only real negative about the book is that you either need to already know the many photographs that he refers to or you need to look them up on the internet. This is because many people holding copyright on these images wouldn't let him reproduce them in his book.

As a typical indication of Dyer's style throughout, at the end of the book he 'credits' the people who wouldn't let him reproduce many famous images with:

"If this book comes close to the ideal I naively had in mind when I finished writing it, that is due in part to their (photographers who helped him such as Meyerowitz, Fraenkel Gallery, etc) understanding. For its failure to come closer to the ideal the frustrated reader can thank those responsible for the pictures - by Robert Frank, Roy DeCarava and Diane Arbus - conspicuous by their absence."

I hope that APUG members will enjoy and would be interested in others’ responses.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de
    Last edited by David Allen; 08-29-2014 at 03:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello David

Couldn't agree more and also highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the history of photography. Have read it a couple of times and several friends have been given it as birthday presents! I remember seeing him give a talk about it at the NPG at the time of publication. He had only really discovered photography by writing the book, so had a very different outlook than the usual cannon of commentators and cultural theorists. A bit like Iain Sinclair in the way one thing can surprisingly lead to something quite different. Have you read any of his others? Only he could get away with Zona, a complete book about watching a DVD of Tarkovsky's Stalker.

All the best
    Mike

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    Hello David

Couldn't agree more and also highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the history of photography. Have read it a couple of times and several friends have been given it as birthday presents! I remember seeing him give a talk about it at the NPG at the time of publication. He had only really discovered photography by writing the book, so had a very different outlook than the usual cannon of commentators and cultural theorists. A bit like Iain Sinclair in the way one thing can surprisingly lead to something quite different. Have you read any of his others? Only he could get away with Zona, a complete book about watching a DVD of Tarkovsky's Stalker.

All the best
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up about Zona. Having been intrigued by Dyer's approach to photography and a big fan (if that is the correct word!) of Stalker I shall definitely be getting a copy.

Had hoped more people would have responded about Dyer's photography book.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Allen View Post
    Had hoped more people would have responded about Dyer's photography book.
    I've just ordered it, so perhaps in a week or so!

Trond

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    I've just ordered it, so perhaps in a week or so!

Trond
    Great - look forward to your reaction to the book.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Bump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just ordered a copy, will see how it stack up gainst my other books

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just received the book. Only read a few pages, but looks promising.

Sent fra min C6603 via Tapatalk

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I never heard abuot this book before. Looking sound interesting, I am reviewing this. If it looks as good as it sounds I will have to get it.
    Adrien
    All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
    "Toni Morrison"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin