Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,046   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Aperture and other photographic magazines

I understand Aperture magazine is probably the top photographic magazine in the USA for show-casing photographic art. I wondered what APUG members make of its content and images. I find some of the articles interesting and think they can often stimulate new ideas for new methods of experimentation, but I also find I’m indifferent to some of the content. Have you ever read something in this or any other photographic publication that has given you an idea for a project or type of image making?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    damn good question!!!!!!!!!! I can not remember the last time I picked up a magazine about photography?????? I usually use the internet. Maybe I should look elsewhere too, besides the internet.

Shooter
    35mm

Since you asked

I recommend the publication you mentioned for any effete New York City Lounge Lizard who is into artsy-f*rtsy. Then there is also Strangefinder Magazine for clods who have not figured out "wedding photography" today has nothing to do with Holy Matrimony but is photography for "Princess-For-A-Day" events. And I should mention those PopPhoto/Shutterugg rags that are only good to find out what is new but who cares about another new digiabox? But perhaps I am too cynical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy and find inspiration more in photo books of masters of photography than in magazines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When not printing in Darkroom, I find making Lumen prints is much more fun. This is directly inspired from Wolfgang Moersch's facebook page.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know that I've gotten any ideas from Aperture or other magazines. I'm almost more inclined to go in the opposite direction of many things I've seen in Aperture. It just isn't really my thing. I get B&W (the US one) and Lenswork and really enjoy a fair amount of what I see in them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Apeture has sucked for decades. They used to be pretty good.
    Also, American Photographer was great until they became American Photo. Camera Arts always sucked, and I have a complete set!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a subscription for View Camera this year and I have been quite pleased with it. I used to be able to get it from Borders in Glasgow, along with Lenswork and US B&W. No one stocks them here now. I recall another US magazine which I think was called 35mm Camera. Does anyone know if it is still published?
    Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used to get Aperture but haven't found it very worthwhile in a decade or two. My local Barnes and Noble stopped carrying View Camera which I used to subscribe to but due to increasing d**** content it got to the point where I would only buy it on an issue by issue basis. Now I can't do that either. Lenswork is too small and too expensive. Used to like B&W but d***** took the fun out of that too though I buy an occasionbal issue. I'm no against d****** imaging I just like work separated on the basis of whether it was made with a camera or a computer, and that rules out 99.999% of mags.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sorry, I didn't really answer the question. No, I haven't found much inspiring in photographic publications of late.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin