Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,746   Online: 909

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I looked at the latest issue of Outdoor Phototgaphy, briefly, specifically to see if there were tech details accompaning the photographs. I am not certain there were none at all, but I didn't find any. Many of the 'graphs therein are probably still large format, film images (as are 9 of the 12 images on their 2005 calendar) but the bastards chose not to acknowledge that fact because it would contradict the necessity of buying the latest and greatest new digital tool for outdoor photography that the editor's are shills for. Sad...
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think what angered me the most, is they write an article about buying cameras and don't even mention film cameras. I wrote the editor a couple of times asking when they are going to review the F6, but no response; which doesn't surprise me. If you look closely at the magazine, you can see that the editor, Rob Sheppard, also is the editor of PC Photo, and has written a book about Epson Ink Jet printers. So, it isn't surprising the major bias of the magazine; it just angers me that they refuse to serve all their readers.

If anyone else wants to write: editors@outdoorphotographer.com. Perhaps, if enough people write they may get the hint.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I made the mistake of glancing at the cover of Practical Photography ("Film and Digital Photography") today... Three of the cover articles were a review of new digicams, PhotoShop techniques and "Reasons to Go Digital". I don't recall seeing anything about film (other than the above-mentioned claim) on the cover. I now know better than to look inside...

There's nothing like an unbiased magazine that's honest about its intentions, is there?

I believe I may have inadvertantly placed a couple of copies of B&WP UK in front of that stack. (Oops, butterfingers!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB

I believe I may have inadvertantly placed a couple of copies of B&WP UK in front of that stack. (Oops, butterfingers!)
    I inadvertantly placed Maxim in front of the "Pop, OUtdoor, and whatever Photography" magazine over at Borders Books.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Tom, I think you are thinking about a different magazine. Joe Cornish has never appeared in Outdoor Photography that I am aware of. There are actually two magazines with similar names. Outdoor Photography is published in the US and Outdoor Photographer is published in the UK by the GMC Group. I have read both, and the US version is much worse. I always consider it to be a treat to find the UK version.

Yep, I got it wrong and refer to the UK mag. Still reckon (like catering companies) the decline sets in after the first year and there is no recovering!

Black and White Photography carries a torch for us all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will not be renewing my subscription to Outdoor Photographer. I have subscribed for many years, but I so dislike the direction the magazine has taken in the past 2 years. Every issue has meaningless fluff pieces trying to sell us stuff--I have seen a few articles in recent memory about the latest in tripods. There is the occasional good story involving some type of environmental journalism, but we can find those types of pieces in National Geographic. With Outdoor Photographer increasingly selling digital products and process, I find it ironic that most of the showcase photos near the front of the magazine are typically medium or large format film photos. The magazine does still have some great columnists, but the remainder of the editorial content is increasingly worthless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    I disagree - the coated paper is too slippery to be effective.
    You need two red and one white corncob to get the job done properly
    Non Digital Diva

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin