Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,715   Posts: 1,483,039   Online: 787

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Latest Issue of Outdoor Photography magazine makes good toilet paper

Just happened to look through the latest issue of Outdoor Photographer magazine because it had an article titled "How To Buy A Camera: New & Used" and I wanted to read more about the new Nikon F6. The article didn't even mention film cameras and the author only does digital. Don't waste any money on this rag.

FWIW, I noticed in the 5 March 05 issue of Amateur Photographer (UK) the back cover has an ad for Fuji Provia 100F, the caption is "Only film could carry this off.", featuring a film photographer.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    You act surprised. As for the toilet paper thought I think the glossy pages would create far too many sharp and uncomfortable edges.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked it up and thumbed through it today, and place back on the shelf and walked away shaking my head..

not surprised, but disapointed as this has been a magazine, I have contributed many times in the past, and will probably not do again.

Dave Parker

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I think the glossy pages would create far too many sharp and uncomfortable edges.
    It is because of the pixels. Pixels are sharp and my butt is allergic to them...So please don't put pixels up my bunghole

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I picked it up and thumbed through it today, and place back on the shelf and walked away shaking my head..

not surprised, but disapointed as this has been a magazine, I have contributed many times in the past, and will probably not do again.

Dave Parker
    I was a charter subscriber, when they first started publishing, and kept buying until about 3 months ago. I'm going to be putting up the back issues that I have on eBay and just get rid of them.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been receiving it since _Photovision_ went under. Oddly the publisher decided that OP would be a reasonable substitute. I made sure I got my refund, but they still send it. I usually just leave it by the mailbox for my neighbors in my building.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All magazines are pretty much going downhill these days.. B&W Magazine remains the best AFAIK. Have you guys ever tried ripping out all the advertising pages from the magazine just to see whats left of the actual content? You'll be surprised!
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    Have you guys ever tried ripping out all the advertising pages from the magazine just to see whats left of the actual content? You'll be surprised!
    Having been a charter subscriber also, have noticed that the more ads there are the worse OP became. When it started out it, it was really a good rag, though I never thought is covered sports as well as it should have, now it is just like PopPhoto, the old Modern, and so many others...B&W US and UK, Lenswork, and soon Emulsion..that's where my $ will go..and the occasional View Camera issue.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Having been a charter subscriber also, have noticed that the more ads there are the worse OP became. When it started out it, it was really a good rag, though I never thought is covered sports as well as it should have, now it is just like PopPhoto, the old Modern, and so many others...B&W US and UK, Lenswork, and soon Emulsion..that's where my $ will go..and the occasional View Camera issue.
    I have a real passion for landscapes, so there isn't too many magazines that I can find that fills that void. These days, I primarily buy B&W (US) and UK (whenever I can find it), LensWork, Outdoor Photography (UK - whenever I can find it) and Photography Monthly (UK).

I just got a copy of Amateur Photographer (UK) because it has articles by Joe Cornish and Peter Watson, and a nice article about Wista Field cameras. The paper quality of the magazine isn't as good as the others, but it is a weekly I believe.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I disagree - the coated paper is too slippery to be effective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin