Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,655   Online: 1049

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: INKED Magazine

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sneering at anyone - and not all APUGers are virulently anti-digital, but some are beyond all reason. Yes, the publisher of inked magazine is trying to win APUGers as customers, among, I am sure, a large number of other target groups. The question of "market" is a fascinating one - there is certainly keen INTEREST in traditional methods, the number of enthusiasts spending significant amounts of money on traditionally-made artworks by other is relatively small.
    I find it unfortunate that you use the phrase "giclees to the unwary" - there is adequate test data available today to allow buyers to invest in digitial prints with confidence, and it drives me crazy that pig-ignorant reactionaries (not you! primarily gallery owners and so-called experts) refuse to spend a few hours learning about archival inkjet printing and instead dismiss the whole technology out of hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, have you seen this recent thread?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    refuse to spend a few hours learning about archival inkjet printing and instead dismiss the whole technology out of hand.
    It's not so much dismissing the technology, it's not needing to know anything about it. A lot of people and galleries have already chosen their paths, they are happy with their decision, and are just getting on with producing or selling the type of work they want to. If a new 5,000 megapixel camera comes out that can output to a 1,000,000 dpi inkjet print, and last for a million years, I could care less. For me nothing will beat processing a sheet of film and hand printing it in a darkroom..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    David, have you seen this recent thread?
    I have indeed - it has some very valuable info, the most salient point seems to be that the ink/paper combination recommended (and made) by a printer manufacturer is almost always the best bet (sometimes by a big margin). This is some comfort as you listen to your ink cartridges gurgling towards empty faster than you would have thought possible!

Far be it from me to preach the virtues of digital printing, but I think there is a big difference between color and b+w. Fiber-based b+w paper has certain qualities which are still way ahead of digital, whereas for me at least digital color printing is technically superior (and NOT faster, NOT cheaper, NOT easier!).

I would never again want to be without a means of varying saturation and contrast independently of density, lifting midtones via "Levels" while leaving highlights and shadows untouched, etc. If others want to stay in the darkroom, fine, but it drives me nuts if people tell me I'm doing digital color because I'm lazy and trying to foist garbage onto unsuspecting punters!

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    I was thinking about subscribing until I went to the website and saw that _Inked_ will include digital photography. There are dozens of magazines I can read for information concerning digital photography. If you concentrated on traditional photography, including the older "alternative" processes, you would have something unique and I would definitely want it.
    Chazzy, I've had this discussion before with other APUGgers. I'm not a technology magazine, I'm a black and white photography magazine. My main emphasis in black and white photography is traditional, hand made prints. 6 out of 7 photographers featured in my last issue were traditional. 2 out of 3 photographers I interviewed were also traditional. At my booth at Photo San Francisco, all 10 photographers that I'm representing are traditional photographers. I just spent $1200 on a traditional camera and over $100 on film and am going to spend hundreds if not thousands of more dollars per year on traditional products.

To be honest, I'm going to see about the digital stuff. Almost all, if not all of the photographers I'm featuring in my 3rd issue are traditional. If I don't see any galleries exhibiting photographers who shoot in digital or any advertisers who shoot in digital, I may just nix it. I really don't seem to be generating that much, if any income because I accept digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This thread has run it's course and has been a lot of work moderating, so it's best we close it down. Any inked queries can be directed offline to inked via pm or their website.. thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin