Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,075   Online: 862

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: INKED Magazine

Shooter
    Digital Negs

INKED Magazine LAUNCH!

Well, after some minor production issues, my entire distribution network up in the air after a lawsuit was filed against Desert Moon Periodicals, preventing him from taking me on as a new publisher, and a dire need for me to get some higher resolution photos from some photographers, Inked Magazine's launch is right on schedule! We'll be hitting over 200 B Dalton bookstores all over the country on May 3, along with over 300 fine art photography galleries and over 1000 photographers! We have fine art photography galleries all across the country selling Inked's first issue along with a free 100 copy giveaway! Things are so crazy around here for the first issue, I almost forgot to post the launch of the website that's given me so much feedback and so much help and support. Thank you to all who have criticized and complimented Inked's ideas in the past and in the future. Feedback from the market I'm trying to reach, positive or negative is the most valuable asset I could ever have and I'm 100% thankful to all of you.

Inked Magazine's second issue should be out in time for Photo San Francisco, where I hope to see some of you in person! The second issue, we'll be reaching over 250 Borders and Barnes and Noble bookstores, plus hopefully get the number of galleries distributing Inked into the 3-digit range.

If you haven't subscribed, or you don't have a B. Dalton bookstore by you, log onto www.inkedmagazine.com to order your copy of our first issue for only $5.95.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any news regarding the magazine? I subscribed months ago and haven't received anything yet!

Gerhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Gerhard, inked is no longer a sponsor, you may want to try their website. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbock
    Any news regarding the magazine? I subscribed months ago and haven't received anything yet!

Gerhard
    I've received two issues from them so far, the second arriving in the mail today. If you haven't received anything I'd definitely contact them and see what's going on.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, James. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into launching a new magazine, but ultimately, what counts is the product--and subscribers should be the first to receive it!

Gerhard

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Thanks, James. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into launching a new magazine, but ultimately, what counts is the product--and subscribers should be the first to receive it!

Gerhard
    Gerhard, I sent out a general e-mail to all subscribers saying that the first issue did not meet any expectations and that all subscribers will be given issue #5 for free if they subscribed to the old $16, 4 issue deal. I'm surprised anyone received a copy of the first issue...it was full of typos and was a rushed product due to several advertising commitments that had to made. The second issue, I hired a graphic designer, got quality writers and made an overall excellent issue that rivals the quality of LensWork and B&W. The third issue will be even better.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gerhard
    Magazine publication is so very difficult. My wife is a magazine production person (editor, writer, layout, design, respectively.) I was a magazine picture editor and designer. It is not the myriad mechanical and artist contributor issues that get to us, it is the nighmare of distribution and subscription services. Distributors are the most persistent niche of impenetrable blood-sucking monopolists in the USA. Outsourced subscription services are the second worst because they can ruin your reputation - they are completely uncoupled with the spirit of client service. I'm ranting. I'll quit here.

There's got to be a lot of money behind INKED to get it even this far. More power to it.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    Magazine publication is so very difficult. My wife is a magazine production person (editor, writer, layout, design, respectively.) I was a magazine picture editor and designer. It is not the myriad mechanical and artist contributor issues that get to us, it is the nighmare of distribution and subscription services. Distributors are the most persistent niche of impenetrable blood-sucking monopolists in the USA. Outsourced subscription services are the second worst because they can ruin your reputation - they are completely uncoupled with the spirit of client service. I'm ranting. I'll quit here.

There's got to be a lot of money behind INKED to get it even this far. More power to it.
    I've actually been contemplating getting rid of the subscription service that I have. I'm available on over 150 different websites for subscription, but A: receive 1000% more subscription orders through my own website which I only have to pay minimal PayPal fees for. These subscription services do nothing to help my magazine, anytime I want to make a change in the copy that talks about Inked it takes weeks to do, and then I have websites that just don't do anything and who are still selling 4x subscription rates at $16/yr, which I stopped doing and sent out an e-mail to them to stop doing weeks ago. With my current planning for the third issue, my sales effort to get advertising for the third issue, planning for Photo San Francisco and doing a major website re-design, I just don't have the time to sit down with the head of these guys and tell them "Hey, this is how I want it to work and if it doesn't work this way, I'm out."

I don't work directly with distributors. I work with a circulation broker who works with distributors. Yes, it's a middle man, but without him I wouldn't have been able to get into the bookstores I got into so early in the game. I was in Union Square the other day, just stood back and saw people picking up and buying copies of my magazine at the Barnes and Noble's there. No amount of stress or headaches or hiccups could ever compare that moment of finally seeing your finished product on the newsstands of one of the world's biggest bookstore chains in New York City with people reading it and buying it.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Any word on when I might see the mag? I havent received any issues yet?

If it is at B and N maybe I should just get it there and you could refund my subscription etc?!

It doesnt seem that your delivery service is up to par ... customer service for those with paid up subscriptions.... I certainly wish you the best in your venture but would like to see the magazine I purchased

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Any word on when I might see the mag? I havent received any issues yet?
    Everyone needs to know that the magazine went to print a week behind schedule and then had to be re-printed. So, I was two weeks behind schedule. The magazine was sent out via 3rd class mail on Friday, June 24. 3rd class mail takes an average of 5-10 business days to arrive at its destination. We lost a day with the July 4 holiday falling on a Monday, so that slowed things down a bit. All magazines should be arriving at their destinations this week. 3rd class mail allows me the least expensive way to send out magazines to a mass of people...and it's still not cheap. 75 cents per magazine, compared to 1st class mail, being around $3 to send out per magazine.

Again, everyone should receive their copies of the second issue by the end of this week.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin