Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,923   Posts: 1,556,657   Online: 1254

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "By the way, the British Black and White is not a wholly analogue magazine either."

And this is why sometime I buy it and sometimes I don't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't seen the issue but this is a very interesting turn. I know in issue 36, pages 8 and 9, in the announcement of their single image photo contest B&W that they were going to accept digital but I consider that seperate from the magazine and those images aren't for the magazine. They're going to be a seperate book. I don't believe their submission window opens for another year so for them to announce now that they are accepting digital for the magazine is unexpected.

And, as an avid magazine reader, I'm jealous of all of you folks who receive magazines before me.

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I picked mine up on the newsstand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From the editor:

First sentence: "It probably comes as a big surprise...."

Then a little further down:

"artist are using digital technology to create photo-based images that must be seen as extensions of classic surrealism."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bearing in mind how long their lead-time is, that is lots more in the current format.

The other thread on magazines has indicated how few and far the good ones are. I shall not dismiss on a matter of principle.Before the toys go out the pram, I shall look to see whether the image quality is affected and ratio of advertising to content is swung into reverse. Personally, I don't seek out every issue, since now they have quite an air of familiarity.

I don't see why the two processes shouldn't live side by side, so long as magazine presentation is objective and not evangelical for either cause. I think that I have learnt enormously by seeing what is possible by experts in either field. UK B+W seems to strike this balance happily, with the guidance of Ailsa. Of course not every editor achieves this, either by design, or otherwise.

Aggie has Emulsion Magazine for the wet-side covered for those that see things differently.

B-3
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I just prefer B&W work that is made in a darkroom.
    Hi. No offense intended, and I can see your point as far as buying an actual print... but, for an image published in a magazine, why does that make a difference? Even if the photographer is all-analog, every magazine now has digitial steps in the publishing process. (And even if they didn't - it's still a magazine, not a print intended for your wall.) We can all learn from any source, provided we keep our minds open.

Cheers - Happy Shooting and Printing!

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My scrip just expired & I haven't yet decided whether to renew. When their requirement that entry to their competition was to be CD or DVD ONLY. I was really dissapointed in them.
    Will buy it off the news stand. Same as with Photo Techniques.
    I thought they had so many submissions they couldn't keep up. Over 700 in their last call.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On page 9 of issue 37, the editor writes about why his magazine will now accept digital work.

For some reason this upsets me a bit. B&W was the last magazine that did not accept digital work. Although he states it will not become a how-to magazine, it is still disappointing. Especially since they received such a huge response from their last "call for entries".

I guess I will just wait it out and decide later if I can spend my $8 somewhere else.
    They have already showed digital work in the past. I have every issue but issue one. I can remember at least 2 or 3 (there may have been more) digital contact print portfolios. Most were just using photoshop as a dodge and burning tool. I do remember one though that was pure photoshop wizardry and wasn't what I would consider Photography, be it analog or digital. It was just the last year and a half or so that they were pure analog.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I picked mine up on the newsstand.
    I've looked. It hasn't arrived at my neck of the woods yet. I think northern California is the last place to receive magazines in the US, and subscriptions are even worse.

I was speaking to Henry, the publisher of B&W, about 18 months ago and he mentioned that being non-digital was hurting him financially. This came as a surprise because I assumed the opposite. Ironically I started as a reader of B&W when it was analog and I was digital. Now I'm a reader when it's digital (or mixed) and I'm analog. Hmmmm.

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I'll just sit with a cup of copy at Borders and read the one or two articles that might have some interest for me and then put it back on the shelf.
    This is something I wouldn't be bragging about doing... Why not just steal the magazine instead?

joe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin