Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,595   Online: 1026

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    If they are anything like the other mags they will be chock full of digital ads, yet all portfolio work will be traditional. Just look at outdoor photographer.. 10 digital ads per page but for some strange reason all of the portfolios and reader images are velvia, provia, etc... kind of funny if you ask me
    Yes, I've noticed this as well. When they did a landscape feature about a year ago, they featured three photographers shooting film LF, and one guy shooting 35mm, maybe who had switched to digital if I remember correctly.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by Sean
    "If they are anything like the other mags they will be chock full of digital ads, yet all portfolio work will be traditional. Just look at outdoor photographer.. 10 digital ads per page but for some strange reason all of the portfolios and reader images are velvia, provia, etc... kind of funny if you ask me"

I like to point this out to my digital friends. Just to annoy them a little

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As James said, B&W ads blend well with the contents of the magazine. I can't imagine color glossy Epson, HP or Canon ads in the magazine. It has always had a certain elegance that would be compromised severely. B&W using color ink? That's scary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I find a pixelgraph interesting and moves me, then the process involved does not really matter. I think that is why Lenswork has done a pretty good job of presenting digital portfolios. The quality of the work and subject matter are what is important.

So from a purely artistic and creative point of view I will live with the change. In retrospect, the two things I like most about B&W is the presentation of work by many photographers from the past who I have never heard of. For example the work of Lou Stouman in issue #36. I also think they do an outstanding job of presenting in depth articles on the history and variious movements of photography. Articles on groups such as the Visual Dialogue Foundation, American Bauhaus, Analoge Photography Users Group, American Modernists as well as specific features on work and history overseas. And in what other magazine do the advertisements sometimes equal the regular content. I guess some issues I could buy it just for the articles alone. (Kind of like Playboy.)
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Doesn't bother me, I never buy it anyways, but do enjoy looking at the pic's.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin