Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,548,995   Online: 825

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

B&W Magazine (USA) now accepting digital work

On page 9 of issue 37, the editor writes about why his magazine will now accept digital work.

For some reason this upsets me a bit. B&W was the last magazine that did not accept digital work. Although he states it will not become a how-to magazine, it is still disappointing. Especially since they received such a huge response from their last "call for entries".

I guess I will just wait it out and decide later if I can spend my $8 somewhere else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can you post the highlights from the article? Seems very odd they would go from staunch traditional to YADPM (yet another digital photography magazine).. Thanks for the heads up.. will make it easier when I see the big 2 page Epson printer spread on the insert..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn. I was going to subscribe, guess now I won't.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess this is to be expected. If I begin to see the digital camera and printer advertisements I will assume that: A, they are struggling financially and need the revenue to keep going, or B, they have compromised their original position in order to make a bigger profit.

i will not renew my subscription when it ends, but will purchase off the newstand for a few issues. I have a feeling that they will go down the path of other magazines where they begin to dedicate the contents of whole issues to pixelography.

I found out with other magazines that when they have 6 issues a year and 2 or more are 90% or more digital, there is no longer a cost savings to subscribing. I'll just sit with a cup of copy at Borders and read the one or two articles that might have some interest for me and then put it back on the shelf. I'll buy some film with the savings.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is interesting, since B&W (US) is really aimed at collectors (really not at photographers) not sure I understand why anyone is surprised. Many galleries have gone down this path already, and THAT is the market of B&W (US). I don't see them becoming over-run with digital, because lets face it, how many B&W digital photographers are out there doing work that collectors are after? Maybe they feel that they are not getting enough new work from film based photographers, or maybe there is a market shift...or maybe they just 'think' they need to do this and it could just be economics..they need the money from digital ads..so goes another good publication...Thank goodness for Emulsion!!
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's too bad. I've been buying every issue of this magazine for a couple of years and meaning to subscribe-I haven't seen Issue 37 yet. While I don't always like every portfolio presented or have that much interest in the new record-breaking prices paid for photographs at auction, B&W has always been associated with film-based photography. It had that edge over Lenwork although the reproduction of B&W was nowhere near as good.

I guess I'll hold off subscribing for a while longer to see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why bother? It's calld B&W magazine, not APUG magazine.

Are all of you to elitist to deny that a digital print can be fine art too?

G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For me, this has nothing to do with what is considered fine art these days.

I just prefer B&W work that is made in a darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    This is interesting, since B&W (US) is really aimed at collectors (really not at photographers) not sure I understand why anyone is surprised. !
    At the AIPAD show in NYC this past February, I asked a couple of dealers about their interest in offering digital work as well or instead of the traditional work that permeated that show. The answer was unanimously a matter of: "When people want to buy it, we'll show it and sell it to them." Such is the course of "progress".

I don't have my copy of B&W to refer to here at work, but as I recall there were still some caveats regarding how much of the process was to remain traditional. I'll have to check when I get home, but I don't remember being shocked, surprised or even especially disappointed.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I'll just sit with a cup of copy at Borders and read the one or two articles that might have some interest for me and then put it back on the shelf. I'll buy some film with the savings.
    Apparantly book/magazine store owners in Japan had a lot of trouble with teenagers with camera/cellphones taking pictures of articles in magazines, and putting the magazine back on the shelf.

This brings up an image of an APUGer in a trench coat lurking in magazine stores with a digital camera waiting to copy analogue articles in magazines.

By the way, the British Black and White is not a wholly analogue magazine either.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin