Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,201   Online: 844

hyk

Shooter
    35mm

how long to wait to get paid from a gallery?

Hello everyone.
    I counldn't find anywhere for the information about the length of time that usually takes between selling works through galleries and getting the payment check from the galleries. Is there a standarized waiting period or is it depends on each gallery?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have absolutely no experience in this area but I would think no more than 30 days. A check takes no more than a week to clear and if charged their account should be credited in a day or so. Cash is instant. I would say 2wo weeks would be fair.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the contract you have.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Noseoil is right. It depends on the contract you have with the gallery. It should be spelled out how much you make and when you get payment.

Photography is a great hobby, as soon as you exhibit your work with the idea of selling the work, its a business, treat it as such.

For me, I've had galleries pay a number of different ways; at the end of the month for sales in that month, 15 days or 30 days. I even had one gallery pay me for a print sold during an opening at the end of the opening.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Many galleries, reps, agents and such will pay 30, 60, 90 or even more days AFTER they have themselves been paid. This can run into months where one delivers a print to a gallery and the gallery is having and/or doing the framing, hanging and such. This is particularly true where the end client might be a large corporation with lots of accounts payable bureaucracy.

Where a special print order is made (as opposed to a print that the gallery has on hand), it is customary to ask for a deposit, 50% is normal. I'd think 50% would cover all expenses at the very least. If not, asking for at least the expenses as the deposit amount is reasonable in most cases.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

hyk

Shooter
    35mm

Thank you guys!

Thanks.
    all Your replies gave me some ideas!
    warmest aloha.
    hyk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an arrangement with all galleries repping me that states I am to be paid within 30 days from time of sale. In all but extreme cases, all adhere to the agreement.

Hope this helps,

Bill

www.billschwab.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin