Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,270   Online: 940

Shooter
    Large Format

Photography Text Book

Good Morning,

I have been asked by a local high school to teach their traditional (analog) photography courses next fall. I instantly said yes. The last time I taught photography to high school students was back in the mid 70’s.

There are two courses, a basic and an “advanced” I would call it intermediate. Between them, the students should learn 35mm (manual) camera functions theory and practice, composition and exposure theory and practice. Darkroom practices and procedures, and mounting and display techniques and theory.

I am looking for a good text book for the students that cover some or all of these topics. The current instructor has been winging it for a number of years, and although he has done ok, I think more can be offered.

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

S.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    S.

I've taken seven photo courses at the University of Akron, OH in my retirement. In Photo 1 they use Henry Horenstein's "Black & White Photography, A Basic Manual", 2nd Ed, Revised. In Photo 2, Horenstein's , "A Technical Manual, Beyond Basic Photography".

I asked the head of the department why she chose these two. She (age 54) said that she had been a student of Horenstein's. She felt these were comprehensive, but easy to read for the many syudents who arrived in college with remedial reading problems.

Hope this helps,

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    S.

I've taken seven photo courses at the University of Akron, OH in my retirement. In Photo 1 they use Henry Horenstein's "Black & White Photography, A Basic Manual", 2nd Ed, Revised. In Photo 2, Horenstein's , "A Technical Manual, Beyond Basic Photography".
    Go with the Horenstein texts as primary choices.

In our intro & intermediate photo classes at a community college, we currently use London & Upton's "Photography" which is much better illustrated, but I don't like it. Too big and not meaty enough for my tastes. "If I were King of the Forest" I'd dump that book and either use Horenstein's or use the Ansel Adams Guide Book 1 compiled by John Schaeffer.

There are a couple other good texts entitled "Photography", one by Phil Davis and another by Tom (?) Somebody-or-other, but both of these are drier than Horenstein although more comprehensive. I think their cost is prohiitive though especially if students have to buy their own books. Save some bucks and put it towards more film.

Email to the publishers and ask for instructor adoption examination copies. They will send them to you usually at no charge if you can verify your instructor status. Look them over and pick the one that matches your style.

Joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Horenstein texts have been used so often that both books are available on eBay at $2-$3 each if the kids or their parents ebay and have the lead time.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used Horenstein's books for my first college courses. I still have them and have even been known to occasionally refer back to them. They would be excellent choices.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank You guys! I'll secure copies of his books to review. I appreciate your input.

S.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin