Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,670   Online: 1201

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A lot of people are reluctant to send in their actual prints
    This I don't get. Personally when I send any print for a contest I consider it something I'll never see again. I focus on the actual material costs when it comes to a contest, which is maybe $5.00, an acceptable loss in my book for the opportunity to enter a contest. I also usually print a few copies of any negative I'm working on anyway so have spares available. I can't get my head around sending off a print with the mindset of 'this print is worth $300 please when can I get it back?', to me it is 'this cost me $2-5 to make that print so do with it as you like'..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    This I don't get. Personally when I send any print for a contest I consider it something I'll never see again. I focus on the actual material costs when it comes to a contest, which is maybe $5.00, an acceptable loss in my book for the opportunity to enter a contest. I also usually print a few copies of any negative I'm working on anyway so have spares available. I can't get my head around sending off a print with the mindset of 'this print is worth $300 please when can I get it back?', to me it is 'this cost me $2-5 to make that print so do with it as you like'..
    I have to agree 100% with you Sean, anytime I have entered a contest, the print is gone, probably never to be seen again, that is unless I win and see it hung or printed in the publication that I have submitted to...sometimes it seems as if we trip over dollars to save pennies.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    The national contests where media is submitted receive a few hundred entrées. The one they they require actual prints gets a few dozen.
    Umm...not to get into a digital debate here, but Emulsion is specifically for traditional silver prints, so a CD wouldn't be in the interest of the magazine. From my understanding. Personally, I think by holding true to the concept and philosophy, Emulsion will produce a unique product, rather than following all the other lemmings.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Many more people are reluctant to send in actual prints as can obviously be seen in the results. As I mentioned in my post above my gallery receives 4 or 5 times as many entrées when CD's or slides are required than when they ask for prints. Same gallery, similar contests, same internet advertising.

There was an emerging photographer contest in Brooklyn about a year ago where they received over 900 CD's.( At $25 each) And this was for a two week show. They were over a month late posting the results. The Emulsion contest only received 43 contestants. Here on a forum with over 6000 members (mostly all photographers) and not infrequently with over 500 people on at the same time. I think that speaks for itself. I'm not saying it is a better contest when CD's or slides are required. I honestly believe it makes for a better contest when the actual prints are viewed. Just that people are reluctant to send in their actual prints for whatever reason you want to believe.

I admittedly have difficulty making prints. I spent 8 hours a few days ago trying to duplicate two prints. After all of that time I was only happy with one of them. Maybe I am tooo fussy, maybe I'm not that good a printer. Maybe both. I don't know.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Umm...not to get into a digital debate here, but Emulsion is specifically for traditional silver prints, so a CD wouldn't be in the interest of the magazine. From my understanding. Personally, I think by holding true to the concept and philosophy, Emulsion will produce a unique product, rather than following all the other lemmings.

Art.
    Art,I totally agree. That is why I sent in my prints for the Emulsion Contest. I was just commenting on when actual prints are required the amount of entrees are significantly lower than when other media is asked for. You can come to your own conclusion if you want as to why.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the risk of compremising the ideals of the magazine, I would not accept entries into a contest for a magazine that is suspose to be all about silver based photography, I was very disenchanted when I saw B&W do this a couple of months ago, and even if it results in less entries, I think it is important to maintain the standards the magazine was founded on. I don't think it is fair to the people who dedicate their lives to traditional photography to run a contest that would accept digital entries.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    Many more people are reluctant to send in actual prints as can obviously be seen in the results. As I mentioned in my post above my gallery receives 4 or 5 times as many entrées when CD's or slides are required than when they ask for prints. Same gallery, similar contests, same internet advertising.

There was an emerging photographer contest in Brooklyn about a year ago where they received over 900 CD's.( At $25 each) And this was for a two week show. They were over a month late posting the results. The Emulsion contest only received 43 contestants. Here on a forum with over 6000 members (mostly all photographers) and not infrequently with over 500 people on at the same time. I think that speaks for itself. I'm not saying it is a better contest when CD's or slides are required. I honestly believe it makes for a better contest when the actual prints are viewed. Just that people are reluctant to send in their actual prints for whatever reason you want to believe.

I admittedly have difficulty making prints. I spent 8 hours a few days ago trying to duplicate two prints. After all of that time I was only happy with one of them. Maybe I am tooo fussy, maybe I'm not that good a printer. Maybe both. I don't know.
    Well, I dont know, but if it was a problem to judge 43 prints or however many there were, judging 900 CDs and requering that the judge views each CD on the computer seems to me an impossible task. I would not do it unless I was paid for my time.

I tend not to participate on contests where the prizes are camera equipment, I have all I need and whatever I need and dont have many a times is more specialized. I doubt many would have been enthused by a 165 wolly lens, which is what I wanted. I suspect many here are the same, they have the equipment they need and dont want to spend time making prints for the contest.

Of the 6000 members, I would venture about 200 are the most active, if 43 submitted prints, that is about 20% not a bad turn out. OTOH we have to realize that this contest was essentially for APUG members, hopefully once the magazine has a year of existence and is better known, I imagine many more people will participate. We also have to realize that Aggie had the misfortune of having that (/&%$)=/ from inked magazine announce a contest right at the same time, he essentially copied Aggie's idea and milked the APUG membership for all he could, I imagine this took away some participants from Aggie's magazine.

I have little contact with Aggie, but it seems to me she was left hanging by the judges, was given poor advice by whatever people are involved in this venture and to top it off her idea was stolen by another magazine that was all hype a no substance and ended up publishing an article in favor of digital photography. So why dont we all give her a break, uh? Trying to second guess and whine about something that is done with is a waste of time, she has explained, she has apologized, and has offered to return not only the photographs but the money as well, what else do you all want? So as MrCallow's signature says, nothing to see here, move on!

lets all look forward and wish her success, if she succeeds, we all do!

Shooter
    35mm
    Starting something new is filled with the unexpected and no one leaves you down like people. GIVE AGGIE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT AND THEN SOME. PISSING, MOANING AND NIT PICKERING IS BEST LEFT TO THE DIGITALLY INCLINED. LETS BE APUGRACIOUS NOT APUGNACIOUS....AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think that all around there are lessons to be learned...and Aggie has had her share. It's a fledgling operations folks. She's doing a darn fine job juggling a lot of responsibility...from getting articles written, finding an editor, getting a printer, getting a website built, managing a contest, etc....and oh yeah, taking care of health issues. So give the woman a break, will ya'? I'm sure that a lot of what has happened in getting this magazine hatched won't happen again...not if Aggie can help it!

Keep on truckin', Aggie.

S

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    you guys seem to think I am giving Aggie a hard time when nothing could be farther from the truth. I asked a simple question. The internet isnt the best way to read answers and get the inflections the person intended. I want this magazine to succeed I really do.
    And I am interested in who won the contest that is all.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 06-14-2005 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin