Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,289   Online: 850

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    Many more people are reluctant to send in actual prints as can obviously be seen in the results. As I mentioned in my post above my gallery receives 4 or 5 times as many entrées when CD's or slides are required than when they ask for prints. Same gallery, similar contests, same internet advertising.

I admittedly have difficulty making prints. I spent 8 hours a few days ago trying to duplicate two prints. After all of that time I was only happy with one of them. Maybe I am tooo fussy, maybe I'm not that good a printer. Maybe both. I don't know.
    There are two separate issues you point out here.... the first is "why not do it the way everyone else does?" I guess, to which I would respond "Because Emulsion and the people this magazine represents are not like those others." I have to say that if I were judging this contest, I would want to see a physical print. Seeing a scan on my computer screen... I don't care how great a computer set-up you've got...just does not have the depth and dimensionality of an actual print.

For example... I've seen Lee's work both in the magazine & in person. Same with Les McLean's (also seen his in cyberspace). There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that compares to seeing the actual prints. It's just light years different. So, Aggie was right to ask for actual prints.

The second point you raise may actually be why you raised the first point. I cannot tell you how to become a happier printer... ie, one whose struggles in the darkroom are few... but I can tell you that it can be done! Of course, you may or may not want this. I think there are many people content to never print... to either send prints to a pro shop, or scan negatives & print them. Everybody gets to make that choice!

Lee, I think the people here are not upset that you've asked... I think they are actually reacting more to what geraldatwork is saying...and the implications of digital submissions of artwork...

Many of us do not frequent the chatroom (or only rarely), so when there is news, and it's only presented in the chatroom, the rest of us remain "out of the loop". It doesn't mean we don't care about what's happening, it just means we don't get the info. So maybe an ocassional post about what's going on... an Emulsion update... would be grand! I'd love it! I am so looking forward to this magazine!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Originally Posted by gr82bart
    "Umm...not to get into a digital debate here, but Emulsion is specifically for traditional silver prints, so a CD wouldn't be in the interest of the magazine. From my understanding. Personally, I think by holding true to the concept and philosophy, Emulsion will produce a unique product, rather than following all the other lemmings."
    Art.

Jeanette, I responded to the above post with my reply below. I guess you didn't see it.

"Art,I totally agree. That is why I sent in my prints for the Emulsion Contest. I was just commenting on when actual prints are required the amount of entrees are significantly lower than when other media is asked for. You can come to your own conclusion if you want as to why."

Again for an analog magazine or contest it I agree it makes more sense to see the actual prints. That is why I was excited about the contest and sent my prints in.

When I mentioned that by requiring the entrees be sent in by a CD or other media that there would be a lot more contestants I was just responding to what I perceived as disappointment in only 43 entrees were entered in the magazine contest. It was only to suggest an alternative to think about.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not entered either, but I completely support the decision to ask for real prints for this contest. I think that makes the participants more self-selecting. Only those who are really committed and are printing regularly will submit. I don't think that getting more contributors in this case would really make it a better contest, and I agree with Jorge that 43 is a pretty good turnout.

I also think it's much easier to judge a stack of prints than to deal with digital images or a combination of formats (slides/prints/digital).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    When I mentioned that by requiring the entrees be sent in by a CD or other media that there would be a lot more contestants I was just responding to what I perceived as disappointment in only 43 entrees were entered in the magazine contest. It was only to suggest an alternative to think about.
    A couple of years ago, PhotoTechniques Magazine held a black and white landscape photography contest. That magazine has national circulation and is well known (if not necessarily loved) by most serious amateur and professional photographers. Even so, and despite asking for entries in the most ubiquitous of subject areas, it was announced that there were only about 300 entries.

Considering that Emulsion magazine doesn't even exist yet, and has very few outlets for advertising the contest, 43 sounds like a pretty decent turnout to me.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am totally suprised with the lack of entrys into this competition, I joined this group little over a year ago and I have to say 43 entrants is a pitiful # considering all the pontification that goes on here about members printing expertise.
    I have started to join the blind exchange , the print share, and when aggie announced the magazines print competition I gladly sent in the maximum number of prints.( I have done this to actively support members initiatives. as well as Arts photo walk that was great fun)
    Now I have put my foot into this court,by having the 5K print competition at my gallery next spring, and judging by the poor response for this one I am concerned , actually crapping my pants.
    Regarding sending prints. For the life of me , is this not what we all do , and is this not what all the talk about densitometers, graphs, concoctions of chemistrys. If there are so many experts here why was this contest not supported with beautiful prints from around the world.( I know that I was happy with my prints and excited at the possible chance to be exhibited in Aggies first magazine.
    I guess my beef is not with the people on this thread who may of entered but the thousands of members who did not.
    Bloody hell , as Sean mentions 5-10 dollars and shipping /entry fee to support a very good intention , the members here that do all the expert pontification should have done less talking and made some prints to enter.
    Just my canadian 2cents

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    "Now I have put my foot into this court,by having the 5K print competition at my gallery next spring, and judging by the poor response for this one I am concerned , actually crapping my pants."

Bob, There are artist bulletin boards on the internet where you can post for your contest. I know of two which get pretty good results. PM me and I'll provide links.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    I am totally suprised with the lack of entrys into this competition, I joined this group little over a year ago and I have to say 43 entrants is a pitiful # considering all the pontification that goes on here about members printing expertise.
    I have started to join the blind exchange , the print share, and when aggie announced the magazines print competition I gladly sent in the maximum number of prints.( I have done this to actively support members initiatives. as well as Arts photo walk that was great fun)
    Now I have put my foot into this court,by having the 5K print competition at my gallery next spring, and judging by the poor response for this one I am concerned , actually crapping my pants.
    Regarding sending prints. For the life of me , is this not what we all do , and is this not what all the talk about densitometers, graphs, concoctions of chemistrys. If there are so many experts here why was this contest not supported with beautiful prints from around the world.( I know that I was happy with my prints and excited at the possible chance to be exhibited in Aggies first magazine.
    I guess my beef is not with the people on this thread who may of entered but the thousands of members who did not.
    Bloody hell , as Sean mentions 5-10 dollars and shipping /entry fee to support a very good intention , the members here that do all the expert pontification should have done less talking and made some prints to enter.
    Just my canadian 2cents

LOL...Bob you have nothing to worry about, it is very different when you are offering cash prices. The prices you are giving are very geneorus even if they are little dollars...

I know I will be sending my prints soon...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm surprised as well and was hoping we wouldn't have to promote too much outside of APUG. I suspect we will have to promote the 5k Competition as well as the conference to the entire photo community.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am sure many people here in APUG feel insecure of their photographs and printing skills and never entered a competition or shown their work in public.
    For example, I am one of them. I don't consider my work "good enough" for a competition, especially since I have been involved in photography for only a couple years now.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Jorge
    Our little dollars could be spent quite nicely up here, maybe a couple of nice restauants , few shows in the theatre district. BTW if you win I do love Creemore beer cold , with a nice grilled calimari dinner to boot at Grano's, actually I have a few friends that find this to be a pleasant experience to pontify over photography, good luck in the competition.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin