Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,878   Posts: 1,629,469   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First of all, I second the nomination of Jim Hughes' book about W. Eugene Smith.

Second, I'd like to nominate Russell Miller's book about the Magnum Photo Agency.

Third, I'd also like to nominate "Photographic Memories" by Jack Delano, one of the WPA photographers.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry, I meant FSA (Farm Security Administration) and not WPA (works progress administratio). Time to brush up on those New Deal acronyms...
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Through Another Lens(Weston):Charis Wilson
    I second this one. A very interesting insight into Edward Weston and that whole art community in California.

Cheers y'all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another nice read is Robert Capa "Slightly Out of Focus" ...and I will add the Smith book to my wish list as well.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Biographies are a great way to learn about the history of the medium. i would suggest "Walker Evans" by James R. Mellow, and any biography of Alfred Stieglitz. There are also a pair of Weston books edited by Nancy Newhall, "On Photogrpahy" by Edward Weston. It contains letters and essays written by Weston and is a great companion to the Daybooks. the other is "Edward Weston Omnibus", a compilation of articles, and essays about Weston and his work. It contains probably the finest essay about Weston and his work written by Ansel Adams a few years after Weston's death.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    went to the library (La Biblioteca for you spanglish folks) and picked up vol. I of the Weston Day books and also Edward Weston: The last years in Carmel by Travis.

both look interesting and after finishing the Vol 1 of the Daybooks Ill likely get the Vol 2.

Thanks for all the suggestions all... Ive made a little running list to widdle away at.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd also like to recommend "From Adams To Stieglitz" by Nancy Newhall.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd recommend the journals of Eugene Delacroix, Paul Strand's essay in the last issue of "Camera Work," Garry Winogrand and Ted Papageorge's essays (and Strand again) in the 1974 "Snapshot" issue of APERTURE, Joshua Reynold's "Discourses" etc and Ruskin's "Masters of Fesole" book -- all are artists writing about process from the inside.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

More on W. Eugene Smith

With the various references to W. Eugene Smith, I thought I would post
    a URL with the last interview with him. Many people have called him the "Van Gogh of photography"....but you probably shouldn't read this interview until you're familiar with "The Country Doctor" or Minimata or the Pittsburgh essay:

http://www.focalpress.com/companions...qa/smithqa.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin