Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,947   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Book suggestions.....

I just finished reading Ansel Adams autobiography. Ive never been a huge fan of his work, but have always admired him hugely.... after reading the autobiography this is only compounded. It was a very honest and beautifully written book I thought.

I borrowed it from the local Austin Library and thought Id poke the APUG community for any other suggestions of this sort.

thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    I borrowed it from the local Austin Library and thought Id poke the APUG community for any other suggestions of this sort.

thanks in advance.
    There are several biographies of AA but the one I like is by Mary Alinder. She actually helped him with the autobiography and was his assistant for a number of years. It is, of course, written from a different perspective, but the two books together make a reasonably well rounded portrait. It's probably not hard to find on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.

(I asked her once at a gallery in NYC if AA was really a decent pianist or whether his talent and ability were overstated. She replied that he really was excellent, even when hampered by arthritis and minimal practicing. That was very nice to know.)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Speaking of Autobiographys, I have two copies (don't ask me why) of Helmut Newton's.. What a cool story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as biographical type of works:

Avedon at Work in the American West by Laura Wilson
    Diane Arbus Revelations

Autobiography by Helmut Newton (take what he says with a grain of salt, but still a good read)

Focus by Beaumont Newhall (this is the one book on the list I haven't read yet, it's on the bookshelf, but I just haven't had time to get to it)

Mapplethorpe; A Biography by Patricia Morrisroe (this was a very interesting book to read)

I'm off to school, but that's what I could grab quickly off the shelf.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another great biographical book is The Daybooks of Edward Weston. As he had no literary ambitions, these journals are an unpretentious, honest account of what motivated Weston to photograph. His passion for the craft was amazing, especially when you realize how little he cared about equipment and materials.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I second the Diane Arbus "Revelations". Because it is filled with passages from so many of her letters and notes it takes on an autobiographical feel. The copy of the origional autopsy report on her is haunting. It is a good mixture of her photographs and life story.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    While not autobiographical...

I find Lenswork to be the shot in the arm I need sometimes for creative inspiration.

joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Along with the other recommended titles I would suggest the Jim Hughes biography of W. Eugene Smith, "Shadows & Substance" - sometimes hard to find but one of the best, well-rounded, warts-n-all biographies ever written about anyone.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Margaret Bourke White:Vicki Goldberg
    Man Ray American Artist:Neil Baldwin
    Self Portrait:Man Ray
    Stieglitz:Sue Davidson Lowe
    Through Another Lens(Weston):Charis Wilson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    Along with the other recommended titles I would suggest the Jim Hughes biography of W. Eugene Smith, "Shadows & Substance" - sometimes hard to find but one of the best, well-rounded, warts-n-all biographies ever written about anyone.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, I added this one to my list of books to buy/read
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin