Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,658   Posts: 1,623,820   Online: 1143

Thread: Photo Magazines

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photo Magazines

As many of you know, I have been out of the usa for a month. Well, i went to borders yesterday to get caught up on the magazine world and was very disappointed.

Every magazine I picked up had an overwhelming amount of digital work and articles. For someone like myself, I have no interest in this type of work or information so I left the store empty handed. Even Camera Arts had a lot of digital write ups.

I hope someday I, we, will have a magazine dedicated to the fine art of handcrafted photography.

Sorry to rant. Just needed to get this off my chest.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I understand what you feel David. That is why most of the photo magazines I buy now are from the UK - yes, they have digital content, but much less than the US magazines, and most importantly, they see a place for film photography among their readers, which most US magazines don't.

Just recently, I noticed that Outdoor Photographer is sponsoring a Fuji Film contest. I thought what a bunch of hypocrites; this is the magazine that has so far refused to do a writeup on the Nikon F6, or even announce any of Fuji's new films (except Velvia 100, which they must have done just to get the contest).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    As many of you know, I have been out of the usa for a month. Well, i went to borders yesterday to get caught up on the magazine world and was very disappointed.

Every magazine I picked up had an overwhelming amount of digital work and articles. For someone like myself, I have no interest in this type of work or information so I left the store empty handed. Even Camera Arts had a lot of digital write ups.

I hope someday I, we, will have a magazine dedicated to the fine art of handcrafted photography.

Sorry to rant. Just needed to get this off my chest.
    Emulsion should be getting off their first issue soon. Go to the link here on APUG
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Why would anyone care about any review published in Outdoor Photographer? When is the last time they didn't like anything they reviewed? The reviews are completely non substantive. OP has become another Peterson's Photographic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    want a quick update: Emulsion is in the final stages of working out kinks to get things running smoothly. We are getting it laid out now, and the last of the interviews done from the winner. One winner is still outstanding, and has not responded at all. If push comes to shove we will just mention him, and show his one photo that won. I feel like I am in my 9th month of a very long and hard pregnancy. I am more than ready to give birth to this darn thing. I could not have done this alone. I have some of the greatest people willingly working for free to help get this whole thing off the ground. Robert above will be updating the website shortly. We will then be taking CC subscriptions besides the old paypal thing. I can empathize with Sean and needing sleep.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have updated the Emulsion website. Once Aggie gives me the OK, I will put up the contest results.

Please PM if you have any troubles with the website. I am novice when it comes to programming with PHP (it is like being back in the stone ages compared to ASP.NET), but I will work to make everything work. Also, PM me if you have any suggestions.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thought OP's general practice was to push digital in all the technical articles and equipment reviews and then feature photographers who shoot film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Why would anyone care about any review published in Outdoor Photographer? When is the last time they didn't like anything they reviewed? The reviews are completely non substantive. OP has become another Peterson's Photographic.
    Only if it is digital. They have yet to review the Nikon F6 - although it was mentioned in an article.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I thought OP's general practice was to push digital in all the technical articles and equipment reviews and then feature photographers who shoot film.
    That seems to be the case. Of course, if one looks, the magazine is now being run by people like Rob Sheppard (author of books on digital and ink jet printing) and George Lepp.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin