Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,219   Posts: 1,659,551   Online: 670

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that it is very difficult to have a full discussion of this issue on APUG because it is so far from the intent of the group. I'll just say that if you see ANY pixelation, posterisation, discontinuities in what should be continuous tone, unintended departure from a neutral tone, blocked shadows, blown-out highlights, dot effect or banding then it is not representative of the best B&W digital prints.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Helen's points are all valid and apply equally as well to colour inkjets. The strength of a colour inkjet is NOT how it competes with a c-print or ciba, but how it allows for a different kind of colour image. This different image, as Helen states, is beter discussed elsewhere.

I can't speak to B&W with similar knowledge, but assume the same applies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    Having never seen in person your work it is hard to judge.
    Maybe you didn't mean it this way but...no, it's not hard to judge. _I_ consider my results to be a satisfactory _and_ fulfilling physical manifestation of my photographic efforts. That is true. You need not judge whether it is true.

My point isn't to be combatative - it really isn't. My point is that it's still about the creative process, and whether one feels he/she is getting what he/she needs/wants from photography. When I look at my prints, I feel fulfilled.

aaaaand...cut. :-)

allan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    Also at APIS we saw images printed alternative process (plat/pall) using digital negs. Something I'd really like to do if I can do a better job than with negs. Some of the people there are the best around at what they do with these negs and still these images looked digital. They are beautiful in their own right but pixelated non the less. Maybe it's apples and plastic oranges or pure arrogance on my part but I don't think digtizing images has found its own voice yet. Someday maybe.
    If by "pixelated" you mean process flaws such as visible dithering patterns, banding, posterization, etc. I did not see this in any of the better work at APIS produced from digital negatives. Certainly you would not have seen it in my carbon or palladium prints, and I did not see it in the Pt./Pd. work of Dick Arentz and a number of other photographers working with digital negatives.

However, I would agree that in some cases there is a digital look that results from the fact that Pt./Pd. prints made from digital negatives have a very linear straight line curve that is quite different from the typical curve of Pt./Pd. prints, which tends to have a very long toe and shoulder. In fact, I started a thread in the gray area of the Alternative photography area that addresses this very point. This is not an issue with my work in carbon since this process is almost perfectly straight line anyway, but I can definitley appreciate the difference between Pt./Pd. prints made with in-camera negatives as opposed to digital negatives.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, it's usually a lot more complicated than just pushing a button. Or, rather, there is a pretty big processing step between scanning and printing, at least for anyone doing anything considered "professional," and especially in black and white.
    My position remains that this is nothing more than a limitation of current digital technology. It's challenging because the hardware and software used make it challenging. Give it a few more years for automation to fully take hold, and consumers will have "professional" quality scanning/printing facilities on their desks, probably purchased from Best-Buy for under $300. The resulting works will be phenominal, 1-click, and a dime a dozen.. I'm not sure how it could be argued that this is not going to happen..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    My position remains that this is nothing more than a limitation of current digital technology. It's challenging because the hardware and software used make it challenging. Give it a few more years for automation to fully take hold, and consumers will have "professional" quality scanning/printing facilities on their desks, probably purchased from Best-Buy for under $300. The resulting works will be phenominal, 1-click, and a dime a dozen.. I'm not sure how it could be argued that this is not going to happen..
    Exactly, I remember I asked on this forum how to do stitching of my 12x20 scans. Brian directed me to a site that had about 12 steps. Come to find out, the scanner came with a panorama maker that does the stitching for you.

I can see in the future the "pt/pd, dick arentz, arches platine, potassium oxalate developer" PS button. You apply it, and it makes whatever you scan look like the parameters you wanted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But how long will we have to wait before the pointless digital vs traditional bickering ends?

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    If by "pixelated" you mean process flaws such as visible dithering patterns, banding, posterization, etc. I did not see this in any of the better work at APIS produced from digital negatives. Certainly you would not have seen it in my carbon or palladium prints, and I did not see it in the Pt./Pd. work of Dick Arentz and a number of other photographers working with digital negatives.

However, I would agree that in some cases there is a digital look that results from the fact that Pt./Pd. prints made from digital negatives have a very linear straight line curve that is quite different from the typical curve of Pt./Pd. prints, which tends to have a very long toe and shoulder. In fact, I started a thread in the gray area of the Alternative photography area that addresses this very point. This is not an issue with my work in carbon since this process is almost perfectly straight line anyway, but I can definitley appreciate the difference between Pt./Pd. prints made with in-camera negatives as opposed to digital negatives.

Sandy
    Thanks Sandy, A better way to say it. The images have their own look. I'm still emersed in metal and don't understand the termonology of digital yet. Will learn however. But, I see what I see and the plat/Pall lacked strength. As well in the areas of absolute contrast (a black line in a lite value surround) it looks as if the neg was under exposed and over developed. This was not just in Dicks work but consistant with the other images. Some of which I would love to have on my walls.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    But how long will we have to wait before the pointless digital vs traditional bickering ends?

Best,
    Helen
    I hope it never does, By pushing each other both tecknologies can't help but grow.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have yet to see one of the digital vs traditional arguments have a positive outcome. The recent load of BS on lfphoto.info is a perfect example of that. Traditional is good, digital is good, each in their own way. They can work together, they can work separately. What's the purpose in the argument?

Best,
    Helen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin