Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,538   Online: 999

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

These inkjets are not bad at all!

I'm talking about the new issue of Lenswork and the porfolio of Vladimir Kabelik. Lenswork has the best reproduction of any magazine I've seen and the look of this guy's photos impresses me a lot. I love that gritty, grainy look. And to think he printed using "carbon piezography", described as scanned film negatives printed with carbon pigment inks.

I know. It's still ink. But I really like the way these pictures look in reproduction and I would love to see some live prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Real "piezographies" are great, has the look of a photogravure, you can reach a very high dmax, a very deep blacks, in specialy treated cotton papers. The main problem with them is that are fragile, they scratch easy.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was at a gallery in Carmel Valley and I saw a whole bunch of Inkjets a couple of years ago. I was stunned! They were nice. You need a lot of moolah to get those printers, ink, computers..... I forgot who it was. Japanese. Ryuji? It was printed on some type of rag paper as I recall.

Shooter
    35mm
    Half analog is better than no log at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I just got back from talking a few days ago to a high end firm who does scans and prints digitally. No I am not going digital. I needed very good scans done professionally of the contest winners. Once this man saw the photos to be scanned, and the quality of them, he tried hiding a inkjet print he had near by. Inkjet may look good until you get them next to the real thing.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do Piezo prints on a 7600 printer all the time (mostly lanscapes) for an Interior design client. They do look pretty good but not close to the original. Quality wise they have a look of their own, kind of apples and oranges but they really lack the strength you get with Fiber based papers.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I'm talking about the new issue of Lenswork and the porfolio of Vladimir Kabelik. Lenswork has the best reproduction of any magazine I've seen and the look of this guy's photos impresses me a lot. I love that gritty, grainy look. And to think he printed using "carbon piezography", described as scanned film negatives printed with carbon pigment inks.

I know. It's still ink. But I really like the way these pictures look in reproduction and I would love to see some live prints.
    LensWork's printer is up in Canada. He uses a very high linescreen (600+) to make the reproduction look so great. His sell through rate on newsstands is about 55%, so from newsstands he's probably making $3-$4 a copy. His subscription prices is about $3 off of newsstand prices...he makes, after shipping costs about $5.50 per copy. He does pretty good for himself. The small size of his magazine reduces shipping costs so he can afford a nice look. His high newsstand price discourages a lot of subscribers (even though he is only $2 more than B&W) so he can continue using this printer so long as his circulation numbers stay below 30,000 (they're around 20,000 last I checked). If he gets above that, he'll run into a problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I remember seeing an Iris print from an Atget neg from which no other print exhisted at an Atget exhibit. It looked like a good gum bichromate print, but nothing like the albumen prints in the rest of the show.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although they were first to the party and coined/tm'd geclee (sp?) I have never liked Iris prints. To me they look like cmyk on newsprint.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

How Long Will THey Last

The question remains though, how long will they last? I would love to print my polaroid manipulations on watercolor paper but I'm afraid they will fade in a few minths or a couple years.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin