Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,016   Online: 888

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! I have a big photo book collection and I've never heard of so many of those mentioned! I'll have to make some notes and go browsing.

Some of my personal favorites are Ralph Gibson's "Deus ex Machina", Sally Mann's "Deep South", "What Remains" and "Motherland", Garry Winogrand's "Winogrand 1964", William Eggleston's "Los Alamos", Michael Kenna's "Retrospective", "Retrospective 2" and "Japan" and numerous books by or about Paul Strand, Walker Evans, Ralph Eugene Meatyard, Jeanloupe Sieff, Diane Arbus...and the list goes on.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Michael Langford "35 mm Handbook"
    There are some awesome sounding books in this list, I suspect I may be adding another book case to the collection soon. (currently 210 feet of shelf space)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you like Harry Callahan,a new publication titled: Harry Callahan: The Photographer at Work by Briit Salvesen and John Szarkowski has just been released. It will be a must have for me since I am a huge Callahan fan.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

"Requiem by the Photographers Who Died in Vietnam and Indochina" edited by Horst Fass and Tim Page

"Full Moon" by Michael Light, collected images from the Apollo missions

"On This Earth" by Nick Brandt

and any thing by Walker Evans

And just a quick moan. Will publishers please stop printing images across two pages, there isn't meant to be a line down the centre of each image. National Geographic seem to be particularly guilty of this, especially in two inch thick books, making it almost impossible to see the whole image with out damaging the spine

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just a few (!) great ones:

'Manufactured Landscapes' by Edward Burtynsky
    'A Twenty Year Retrospective' by Michael Kenna
    'Frozen History' by Josef Hoflehner
    'Workers' by Sebastiao Salgado

plus upcoming monographs:
    'Yemen' by Josef Hoflehner
    'Hokkaido' by Michael Kenna

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think you need to determine what the purpose of your photography book collection is. Is it to have a survey selection from the history of photography or is it simply a collection of photography that you love, both are equaly good, just different.

There are so many photography books being published that it is difficult to say what is a "must have". We can only give recommendations on books that are important to us personally, or have some sort of historical importance.

In a past Photo-Eye Booklist there is an interview with John Szarkowski and he gives his "Top Ten" of photo-books. That is a good place to start.

Here are some that mean a lot to me at the moment:
    --Lee Friedlander's retrospective book that was published along with the exhibition at MOMA last summer.
    --Michael A. Smith: A Visual Journey and The Students of Deep Springs College
    --Paula Chamlee's: High Plains Farm and Madonnina
    --Walker Evans: American Photographs and Let Us Now Praise Famous Men
    --Robert Adams: L.A. Spring, Pine Valley, and California: Views of the Los Angeles Basin 1978-1983.
    --Louis Baltz: The New Industrial Parks Near Irvine, CA
    --George Tice: Patterson
    --Carlton Watkins: The Art of Perception
    --John Szarkowski: Looking at Photographs
    --Edward Weston: Life Work (for the reproductions and Dody's essay), California and the West (not the Weston's Westons, but the original for Charis' writing) and the Day Books
    --Ansel Adams at 100

This list, of course, could go on and on, but these are some right off the top of my head.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A short, incomplete inventory of my library -
    Ruth Bernhard: Eternal Body
    F Holland Day: Suffering The Ideal
    Reuven Afanador: Torero
    Reuven Afanador: Sombra
    Robert Mapplethorpe and the Classical Tradition: Photographs and Mannerist Prints
    Edward Steichen: The Family Of Man (I realize this is sort of a guilty pleasure to admit to owning it)
    John Dugdale: Lengthening Shadows Before Nightfall
    Duane Michals: Eros & Thanatos

I don't yet have, but want to get the Tseng Kwong Chi book, Ambiguous Ambassador.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are the ones I enjoy the most I think:

Emmit Gowin's "Photographs" - just an amazing book
    Caponigro's "Wise Silence"
    Weston "Life Work"
    Sommer "Photography, Drawing, Collage" and "All Children are Ambassadors"
    Meatyard - "Family Album of Lucybelle Crater" and "Ralph Eugene Meatyard"
    Strand - "Southwest"
    Harry Callahan "Callahan"

I've got a bunch more, but these are the ones I look at the most I think.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just added Kenro Izu's "Passage to Angkor" to my collection. Talk about a beautifully printed book of beautiful images of Angkor. Another benefit of the book is that a percentage of the proceeds goes to supporting a childrens' hospital in Cambodia, which is a desperately needed facility in that strikingly poor nation.
    If I'm not mistaken he shot a lot of those with a 12x20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The book I'd like to recommend is M.I.L.K Humanity book (the hardcover one). It's a collection of photographs from all over the world portraying human life from fragile birth till our last days. This book really took my breath away. This is a great example of the old saying "some pictures are worth thousand words"
    I discovered it at the library, but can’t find it in the bookstores. Just curious, did any Apuggers read it?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin