Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,279   Online: 1132

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get most of my books at Half Price Books, it's shocking how many good deals I can find there. Two weeks ago I picked up Sally Mann's Deep South for $8, the only defect is a Christmas-present inscription in the front and last year I got four Robert Frank monographs for $8-10 apiece on remainder. I probably wouldn't have bought any of them at retail.

The rest of mine I get at wholesale thanks to my brother's employer.

particular favorites:
    Eugene Richards, The Fat Baby and Americans We
    the huge Diane Arbus retrospective
    Magnum Stories (this one, The Fat Baby and Arbus all suffer from being huge and ungodly expensive. Not the kind of thing to carry around for reading.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought 'Listen to the Trees' by John Sexton. A book with some really great photography and well worth the $125 price tag.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I just added Kenro Izu's "Passage to Angkor" to my collection. Talk about a beautifully printed book of beautiful images of Angkor. Another benefit of the book is that a percentage of the proceeds goes to supporting a childrens' hospital in Cambodia, which is a desperately needed facility in that strikingly poor nation.
    If I'm not mistaken he shot a lot of those with a 12x20.
    Paul Taylor made a set of photogravures of 8 of these prints which are absolutely beautiful. Much better than Izu's platinum prints. If you ever get a chance to see these, take it. BTW, Izu shoots a 14 x 20. That's a much more pleasing aspect ratio to me than 12 x 20.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Paul Taylor made a set of photogravures of 8 of these prints which are absolutely beautiful. Much better than Izu's platinum prints. If you ever get a chance to see these, take it. BTW, Izu shoots a 14 x 20. That's a much more pleasing aspect ratio to me than 12 x 20.

Much better than Izu's prints! Having seen his platinum prints in the flesh without glass in front of them I must say his prints are magical and the most incredible prints i have ever seen in my life, took my breath away. Am not disputing that Paul Taylor's photogravures at Renaissance Press are good if not excellent, but saying they are 'much better' than Izu's prints is a bit strong and rather sweeping as I consider Izu's prints to be up there with the very best prints in the world.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    obviously I have to mention my book "involuntary sculptures" of which I have several copies, tee hee

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...020677-4075001

but seriously

Steiglitz book on his wife Georgia O'Keefe, printed by the Stinehour press, oh to have been able to afford them to do my book, a thing of rare beauty

Japan by Kenna, just for the sheer beauty of it's production, the images don't need any praise from me, they speak volumes by them selves

Inscapes and the Stilled Gaze by John Blakemore, talk about opening my eyes to what a B&W print could be, wonderful man, amazing work

most of Penns books, it's a shame we have to wait till he dies to get a glimpse of his technical side re his platinum prints

Weston Life Work, printed by Salto, how beautiful, not sure about the claim they are as good as the originals, but truly beautiful none the less. Thank you Lodima.

Avedons "in the american west" and the really BIG coffee table book, which I managed to get signed when he did his lecture in London, also just for the interesting background the book about the taking of the images in "in the american west"

most of my books are currently in storage as we've just moved so that's enough for now

enjoy

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Forgot to mention books to recommend in my last post!

Recently acquired. Edward Weston Legacy
    Alfred Stiglitz photographs and writings

Both are excellent books with superb reproductions

All time favourites

Kenro Izu Still life, Kenro Izu Sacred Places (Beautiful Platinum prints)
    Irving Penn Platinum prints, & Irvin Penn Still life
    Mapplethorpe ‘Pistils’
    Robert ParkeHarrison The Architects Brother
    Journal of Contemporary photography Volume 1 & 2 (Volume 3 still alludes me…grr..sold out completely!)
    Revealing Character Robb Kendrick ( Stunning Tin Types)
    Ansel Adams at 100

Many more, cant think at the mo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusARyan
    Steiglitz book on his wife Georgia O'Keefe, printed by the Stinehour press, oh to have been able to afford them to do my book, a thing of rare beauty
    Stinehour printed mine... a spectacular job IMHO.

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Stinehour printed mine... a spectacular job IMHO.

Bill
    Hi Bill

Have you seen Stiglitz's photographs and writings book, it is stunning and worth a purchase, the reproductions are some of the best i have seen. On par with 'Portrait of Georgia O'Keefe'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101
    Have you seen Stiglitz's photographs and writings book
    Oh yes Dave. Very beautiful. They've done a lot of gorgeous books. I was surprised looking through their library just how many they have done. I highly recommend them. Worth every penny. You can get a little cheaper in China and Italy, but IMO it feels better supporting a printer here at home.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edward Weston's Daybooks, it's been mentioned, but worth another vote.
    Adams Basic Photo series.
    Susan Sontag, On Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin