Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,317   Online: 882

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back issues of Photo Life. Once a wonderful Canadian publication.Now pixel based. Picked up a box of 50 old issues for $5.00 at a yard sale. Lots of my "New" gear is featured.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just purchased the May/June issue of Lenswork. I buy most issues, but leave the ones on the shelf that are full of digital snaps. I prefer to look at images of quality (film), not images steeped in mediocrity (digital snaps), for inspiration.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy Lenswork, B&W Photography(the British one!), and the American B&W.
    Sometimes I buy Silvershotz if it's a good issue. The British B&W Photography magazine is one of my favourites! I have only 1 issue missing since it first started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Large Format Journal

If you don't mind having an Adobe PDF file, The Large Format Journal (www.thelargeformatjournal.com) is a good deal. Very interesting articles, and $4.95 an issue, or $35 for 2 years.
    I've enjoyed every issue so far.
    Nathan

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read B&W (UK), View Camera and Ag. Occasionally I get lenswork when I'm in my nearest Borders (London............) and also Bill Bishop's Inscape. I was looking at some old photo mags (SLR Camera-remember that?) from the 80s and I'd definitely say that the amount of solid content in photo mags has declined since then (and I had a good chuckle at the fashions, hairstyles etc ROFLMAO). I have NO interest in the latest gizmos and I actually want to look at pictures and read about the whys of photography . Clearly a concept that many editors and publishers fail to grasp.But luckily there are some that do. As the great Morrissey put it " I just might die with a smile on my face after all.......". May the Force be with you!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've really become partial to a few as the majority of the photo mags out these days are oversaturated with digital. Black and White (UK), Lenswork, View Camera (selectively) and Silvershotz (especially Silvershotz most recent issue...Vol. 3, Edition 5, page 13 ) These are what I've been picking up if/when I do purchase.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I subscribe to Photolife, partly because I want to support a Canadian photo magazine, but mostly because I find the articles useful and because it's not too oriented to gear. I really like the British B+W, and the British Practical Photography (although it's gone pretty much completely digital now). I have to travel quite a distance to find the British mags as the aren't available in the city I live in. In fact, most of the quality magazines referred to in this thread are only easily available via subscription. The vendors in my town seem to be obsessed with Pop Photo and the like.

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does anyone subscribe to "Shots magazine." From what is offered online, looks to be an interesting publication.?

Shooter
    Large Format

Favorites

I'm sure my reply to this thread will invoke rage and anger,but. We all know of the shrinking choices out there in anything "Film" orientation as far as magizines go. And everything else for that matter. Now for the rage part. I am a "Born Again Christian". I have been for many a year. Every time a pick up one of the shrinking number of magazines I am inundated with NUDES. I do not wish to see this. Therefore, my growing number of intersting magizines grows even smaller every time I go to buy one. Because I dont want this in my house, I dont subcribe for fear of what the next issue will hold. If I want to see, what I proseeve as "Filth" I would pick up Play Toy. Why is this considerd art and why does this always have to be thrown at the public in general. B&W(England) does seem to hold this to a very bare minimum and for that I thank them.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Quote Originally Posted by DeBone 75
    I'm sure my reply to this thread will invoke rage and anger,but.... Now for the rage part. I am a "Born Again Christian". I have been for many a year. Every time a pick up one of the shrinking number of magazines I am inundated with NUDES. I do not wish to see this.
    no rage and anger - just sadness. That there are still sections of the Christian faith that perceive nude= bad (aka filth). Now yes, surely there is much that can be demeaning and exploitative. But the nude human form in and of itself (nor the appreciation of such) isn't inherently sinful

Remember original sin is not so much biblical "fact" as a later theological (i.e. man-made) doctrine or theory. Original Blessing might be much more appropriate and something woefully forgotten.

In the biblical account God created man and women sans cloths and "...saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good"

"And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin