Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,823   Online: 1058

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

P.S. I can't remember the last time my favorite photo publication - Blindspot - had nudes in it...

(my beef with the nudes in most of these B&W mags is they are usually just so badly done and cliched and the same old same old - nude in abandoned building, nude on a rock, nude in a forest glade - no different than a 1000 others before and all poor copies of a Weston or a Bernhard or such...!)

Shooter
    Large Format

SilverShotz Vol 3 Edition 6

Just received in the mail SilverShotz Ed #6; and it has some beautiful images as well as some great articles including an Intro to Platinum Printing by Tilman Crane & Art of Bromoil Printing about Joy Goldkind. The editor seems to come down on the side of traditional photography; and, except for a couple of ads & brief review of digital enlarger, didn't see any mention of digital.
    Last edited by doughowk; 08-11-2006 at 05:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am completely unfamiliar with Silvershotz. I can't imagine why I've never seen it at Border's or Barnes and Noble. Is it usually carried by those stores? Now I'm eager to take a look.
    Last edited by jovo; 08-12-2006 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog
    "Silvershotz" magazine and can you tell me ...is this the same publication as "The Black & White Enthusiast"?
    To answer your original question, the answer is yes
    Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My favorite: the German monthly "Photonews. Zeitung fuer Fotografie." Blissfully free of measurbators and measurbating.

ricardo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently discovered the Italian (bilingual) B&W mag PRIVATE which is pretty swell. I see that Jim Johnson also recently discovered the same issue, and liked it for different reasons -- a good sign in my book! I subscribed, anyway.

I always dislike review-driven mags, they are just veiled advertising IMO. It's sad (but understandable in SOME ways) that mags that purport to be about photography itself -- say American Photo, PDN, Camera Arts -- feel pressured to also include this sort of material. *sigh*

I get a lot of mags, and subscribe because it's cheaper than buying them (and sometimes easier than finding them):
    Aperture
    Lenswork (paper and DVD)
    PRIVATE
    National Geographic
    Camera Arts
    Photo Techniques
    PDN (online and paper)
    B&W
    Focus
    Black and White Photography
    Modern Painters (okay, tangential)
    eight aka ei8ht or foto8
    Hamburger Eyes (no more subscriptions! )

with intermittent bookstore forays into PhotoLife or (shh) Digital Photo Pro, the French PHOTO (usually the context issues), PICTURE, and -- when I can find it -- the Japanese COMMERCIAL PHOTO.

I'm sad to hear that Natural Glow is gone! I always purchased the current issue whenever visiting Japan (can't ever seem to find it here).

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may also enjoy [font=Verdana]Ag .
    [/font]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    You may also enjoy [font=Verdana]Ag .
    [/font]
    My new favorite magazine is New Zealand Magazine (nzmag.com)!!. It is the only magazine I receive by subscription. It isn't a photography magazine ... but, that is OK.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Borders' Charing X Road branch in London do stock Silvershotz FYI
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin