Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,204   Online: 783

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Figuring he was a Weston, I guess his print prices are still very reasonable for buyers. Ranging between 800.00-2,000.00 for his regular 11x14 prints, its a good price. Over the past few years I've seen his prints slowing going up in value.

If you are one that check Ebay for Brett's prints frequently, you will notice that you see new images almost every week...and they are usually images you have never seen before!!! He produced so much work, it was amazing.

There is currently two Brett Weston prints on Ebay, if anyone is interested. One of them is a 16x20, fairly popular image which may be published in his White Sands porfolio- http://cgi.ebay.com/Brett-Weston-Sig...QQcmdZViewItem

The other is an 8x10 contact print, in which i'm sure not many people have ever seen before- http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1968-BRE...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    FANTASTIC! I'm subscribed to the hardcover version and I cannot wait to get home to see it!

If you have never seen any of Brett's prints in real life, I highly suggest doing so. The reproductions in the book almost match the original prints, however seeing the real prints is so much better. I personally own a few of Brett's prints and look forward to the day when I see them published in one of the portfolio books!

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Agreed on the reproduction quality in the Lodima books. I haven't received White Sands yet, but hopefully will tomorrow.

I knew the reproductions in San Francisco were beautiful, but I didn't realize just how beautiful until I bought "Master Photographer" from the Photography West gallery and was able to compare his Golden Gate bridge picture in the two books side-by-side. Almost night and day different.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just received my copy of White Sands. The essay by Nancy Newhall appeared with the original portfolio published in 1949; but still has good insights into Brett's photography. The essay by Roger Aiken is helpful for his commentary on the specific images chosen. The 15 prints (by my count) are well reproduced and stunning. Lodima Press is earning my debt of gratitude for publishing this series.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What about the next one.
    I think it's new York, any news ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller View Post
    They appear surprisingly soft compared to his contact prints.
    Not to me. The best picture in there is number 13 as far as I'm concerned.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by payral View Post
    What about the next one.
    I think it's new York, any news ?
    Michael Smith said in another thread that they hope to have it printed around the first of the year, I think.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    An interesting dichotomy about Brett: he said on numerous occasions how he placed more value on the opinions of a bricklayer than a curator, etc.; yet by burning his negatives he ensured that only wealthy museums & collectors could afford his prints. Personally, though, I'd rather have the Lodima series than a couple of his originals - I'll get better idea of his treatment of a range of subject matter.
    It is a myth that Brett burned his negatives. Yes, he did try and burn a few ceremonial ones at this 80th birthday party. He discovered negatives do not burn so easily. But the majority of his negative were destroyed. Brett and his brother Cole filled up 55 gallon drums with water and dumped the negatives in. After several days the emulsion floated from the base. But some of Brett's most famous ones survived. Myself and several friends held Brett's "Holland Canal", "Ford Tri-motor" and "Garrapata Beach" negatives at a Cole Weston workshop in 2001 and 2002. Just amazing to look through the master's true "original". As for the Lodima Books, they are very good but I still prefer to live with one Brett original photograph.

Walker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Walker, the story that Brett burned his negatives is so prevalent, I wish you'd give us your authority for the different story. Maybe Cole told you? (Sorry, the lawyer pops out in me occasionally)
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    Walker, the story that Brett burned his negatives is so prevalent, I wish you'd give us your authority for the different story. Maybe Cole told you? (Sorry, the lawyer pops out in me occasionally)
    juan
    I don't know about Walker's source, but Cole did tell me it happened this way.

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    I spoke with Kim Weston recently and he said that he does have the Holland Canal negative but that it has been altered as to make it unprintable. He did not dispute that Brett's negatives had been destroyed.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin