Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,268   Online: 778

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    I spoke with Kim Weston recently ...
    Donald,

Did you ask him about his Dad putting the negative on the back of his print? You had mentioned this in another thread. I haven't been able to find any other reference to this... only that Kim did it for a time.

Thanks,

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bill,

No I did not think to ask him about that...But he is very close to Randy Efros here in Phoenix (both were assistants to Brett) and I will ask him the next time I see him.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Donald.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Anyone heard about the new Brett Weston porfolio by Lodima Press.
    I think it's New York. It was supposed to be delivered at the beginning of the year (the 2007 one).

Brett Weston Book series

The next volume of the series, New York, was printed in early November. We had it bound in Europe, thinking that would be more efficient and faster. (Never again!) We thought the books would be ready to ship by late January. But they are still not in the USA. They are due to arrive here in about two weeks. Then we have to get them from the port, etc. So, if all goes smoothly, and no hold up from customs, we plan to ship New York around May 21. The reproductions in New York are of the same quality as that in San Francisco and White Sands.

For those interested in our fine books: along with the Brett Weton book will be delivered the next three books in teh Lodima Press Portfolio Book series: books by Arthur Tress, Marilyn Bridges, and Paul Caponigro. We will release these books every other month beginning in May. See www.lodimapress.com for details. We are currently in process of totally revising the Lodima web site. It goes slowly, sloely, but we are getting there. Previous books in the series are by Nick Nixon, Carl Chiarenza, George Tice, Keith Carter, Linda Connor, and Larry Fink.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    I spoke with Kim Weston recently and he said that he does have the Holland Canal negative but that it has been altered as to make it unprintable. He did not dispute that Brett's negatives had been destroyed.

I knew Cole Weston for nearly 20 years. I saw and handled Brett's negatives (Holland Canal, Ford Tri-Motor, Garrapata Beach etc.) on several occasions at Cole's home and darkroom complex in Garrapata Canyon. It is true Brett altered the negatives he gave to Cole and are now in Kim's care. But they are far from unprintable. Brett punched holes (4) in the corner of each negative. He then signed them on one edge, "No Prints Brett Weston." 95% of the image is clear and very much printable. In fact, Cole liked to joke at worksops he conducted and would show prints he did make from a few of the negatives. Of course, none of these prints ever left Cole's hands.
    Cole also told me how he and Brett floated the emulsion off the vast majority of Brett's negatives in 55 gallon barrels of water when Brett discovered they didn't burn very easily.

Walker

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoHistorian View Post
    It is a myth that Brett burned his negatives. Yes, he did try and burn a few ceremonial ones at this 80th birthday party. He discovered negatives do not burn so easily. But the majority of his negative were destroyed. Brett and his brother Cole filled up 55 gallon drums with water and dumped the negatives in. After several days the emulsion floated from the base.
    I don't have to understand this, do I?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I burn all my crap lf negs over summer campfires, they shrivel up quite nicely... of course that's never more than about 100 at a time. I can only image trying to get rid of as many as Brett had by his 80th!!!

I can hardly wait for the New York Portfolio book to arrive. San Fran and White Sands are superb.

The books were scheduled to arrive in port on May 11, but the ship was re-routed and is due in tomorrow. And our container is on "customs hold," so the cargo cannot be immeditately released. Aggravation! Aggravation! Hopefully, we will get the books sometime next week. We better, because we are heading out at the end of the week and will be gone for a month. The softbound books will be shipped soon after they arrive here, but the hardbound ones first need to be numbered. If they arrive next week, they will go out promptly. Otherwise there will be a delay of another month. And here we thouht we would have boos in February . . .

We'll be printing the next portfolio, Fifteen Photographs, during the summer. It will be bound in the USA.

We are in the process of totally revising the Lodima Press web site and in a few weeks(?), months(?), it should finally be pretty good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just got my copy of New York - fantastic as always. I like the binding on this even better than the previous two (referring to the hardcover). This is a must-have for anyone who admires Brett's work.

Thanks M&P for sticking it out with this series. Keep em coming!
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin