Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,237   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My early edition of the Ben Maddow book was OK until many later books by less biased authors were published. Don't overlook California and the West by Edward and Charis Weston for an account of a brief period in their lives. The books on Margrethe Mather fill in a few details on EW. As for Weston deleting some identifying information on his lovers, it was the right thing to do. Anyhow, by now any who have survived are rather old to interest even a fossil like me.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Thank you PhotoHistorian for those details.
    Unfortunately as the cliché goes, if you have to ask, you probably can’t afford it.

Edward Weston: Photographs from the Collection of the Center For Creative Photography," by Dr. Amy Conger
    Amazon used $1,899.00
    eBay Buy it now $1495
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Edward-Weston-Ph...QQcmdZViewItem

Thankfully I have the "Edward Weston: Forms of Passion". It was on display at the Dayton Art Institute's Weston show two years ago as a book they suggested.

John Powers

What motivates the Center For Creative Photography? Would multiple letters from people like us stir an interest to do a second printing of the book?

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    John,
    I didn't realize the CCP Weston book had risen to an astronomical price. Just a year or so ago, I saw a copy on Ebay at $200. Still expensive, but at least closer to the original price.
    I was lucky and found my copy at the Museum of Modern Art in the late 90's to add to my EW collection. They wanted $75.00 for it, which I believe was the original price. The only damage was to the jacket, so I felt it was still a good bargain. Now it appears it was a great bargain.
    I am not sure what the motivation, as far as publishing, is at the Center For Creative Photography. I have a few contacts there and will try and find an answer. If anyone has any direct questions about Edward please feel free to contact me direct with them via email.

Walker Edmonson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoHistorian
    John,
    I
    I am not sure what the motivation, as far as publishing, is at the Center For Creative Photography. I have a few contacts there and will try and find an answer.

Walker Edmonson
    The book isn't all that great because the images are so small. What is really needed is not a new printing, but a CD or DVD version.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    The book isn't all that great because the images are so small. What is really needed is not a new printing, but a CD or DVD version.
    Bill,
    The book is an EXCELLENT resource if you are interested in learning about Edward Weston. The book's value is in the excellent biography by Amy Conger as well as all the annotations she researched for the images. The thumbnails are there as a reference not as study prints.
    If you want to study just the images, there are many other Edward Weston books for that purpose.
    Anyone doing research on Edward Weston has to have the CCP book in their collection.
    The CD and DVD will not be neccesaary in the near future. The Center For Creative Photography is scanning all the Weston images and will have them online for study at some point.

Walker Edmonson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it's a shame that there's not a really good one of Weston, Strand, or Cartier-Bresson.
    I read quite a good biography of HCB last January - one of those thoughtful Christmas presents... Quite a good job for a notoriously private man. Written by another Frenchman, there are some cultural references and "in jokes" that I did not fully appreciate (and promised myself to research further some day....)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/050...lance&n=283155

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoHistorian
    Bill,

The CD and DVD will not be neccesaary in the near future. The Center For Creative Photography is scanning all the Weston images and will have them online for study at some point.

Walker Edmonson
    Hi Walker,
    Well I do have the big book. It's certainly refreshing to read of your research into Weston and his work. I think that a lot more needs to be written about the relation between Weston and his first wife. As I understand it, she never remarried, and eventually moved to Carmel? to live with/near Neil. Other details of her life (and date of her death) seem to be unknown. In particular her relation to and influence on their four sons should be documented, since she was really responsible for their upbringing most of the time.
    I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the on-line scans from CCP. I've got about all the EW books that I can afford (or have room for).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Walker,
    Well I do have the big book. It's certainly refreshing to read of your research into Weston and his work. I think that a lot more needs to be written about the relation between Weston and his first wife. As I understand it, she never remarried, and eventually moved to Carmel? to live with/near Neil. Other details of her life (and date of her death) seem to be unknown. In particular her relation to and influence on their four sons should be documented, since she was really responsible for their upbringing most of the time.
    I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the on-line scans from CCP. I've got about all the EW books that I can afford (or have room for).

Hi Bill,
    Glad to hear you do have the Big Conger Book. They are a very rare commodity now, so hang on to it. Please to hear you enjoy tidbits about my research. Edward's life and work has taken me all over the country researching the answers to questions and viewing exhibitions.
    I agree more needs to be written about Flora May Chandler, Edward's first wife. She really was a wonderful woman. Cole Weston told me she never remarried because despite everything she still loved his Dad. She was a school teacher by profession. And although she did the major part of raising the boys, Edward had a very strong infuence on all of them. The boys "floated," as Cole described it, back and forth between households throughout their youth years. Flora did move to Carmel in her later years. She died there in 1965. There are letters between Edward and Flora in the Weston Archive at the Center For Creative Photography. Unfortunatley I haven't read any of them. The correspondence I have read has a lot of additional information to offer. Hopefully, in time someone, will write a new Weston biography and we can put the Maddow "effort" out to pasture once and for all.
    If there are any specific Edward Weston books you would like to read and don't have in your collection, feel free to email me your request and I'll see if I can locate a copy. Between myself and a few other Edward Weston fans I know, we have just about every book ever printed on Edward. I am sure a loan could be arranged.

Walker

Images
    Wow, Walker, what a nice reply. The only one that comes to mind is "My Camera on Point Lobos." Don't think that I've ever even seen a copy. Is it mostly pictures, or a real how-to-do-it like the Adams/Newhall books on Death Valley, Yosemite, etc?
    Have you ever considered my original theorem, ie, annotating the Daybooks, or perhaps writing "a guide to the daybooks?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow, Walker, what a nice reply. The only one that comes to mind is "My Camera on Point Lobos." Don't think that I've ever even seen a copy. Is it mostly pictures, or a real how-to-do-it like the Adams/Newhall books on Death Valley, Yosemite, etc?
    Have you ever considered my original theorem, ie, annotating the Daybooks, or perhaps writing "a guide to the daybooks?"

Hi Bill,
    I don't have "My Camera On Point Lobos" in my book collection but will check with friends to see if I can locate one for you.
    The first edition of "My Camera On Point Lobos" was published in 1950 by Virginia Adams (Ansel Adams' wife)and Houghton Mifflin Co. The edition included 30 photographs and excepts from Edward's Daybooks. I have never seen a copy of this edition.
    A second printing took place in 1968 by Da Capo Press. I have seen several copies of this edition and would not consider it good typographically when compared to other books of Edward's work. There is a very heavy "inky" look to the images. When compared to Edward's original prints they are really poor quality reproductions.
    The price of first edition copies of "My Camera On Point Lobos" can range from $300-1,000 from most used book dealers.
    An annotated version of the Daybooks would be a nice addition to the list of Edward Weston books in print. However, I do not know anyone working on such a project at this time.
    Most writers in recent years have selected specific collections or periods in Edward's career to write about. Such as: "Margrethe Mather and Edward Weston: A Passionate Collaboration" (Edward's Pictorial Period); "The Last Year In Carmel" (Edward's Post Guggenheim Period); "In Focus Edward Weston: Photographs from the J. Paul Getty Museum Collection"; and "Weston's Weston: California and the West" (Photographs from the Lane Collection).
    But Edward Weston continues to fascinate. Don't be surprised if an annotated edition of the Daybooks appears sometime. The first edition of the Daybooks appeared in 1961 and they have been published every few years since then. All have followed the Nancy Newhall edited version. Perhaps someone will re-look at the entire Daybooks and come up with a new version.

Walker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin