Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,698   Online: 717

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Images

Edward Weston's Daybooks, what's missing?

At the top of any list of photographic writing, I would put Edward Weston's Daybooks. Although they can be enjoyed on the surface level (which is how I first read them), the problem is that (like Alice in Wonderland) there is so much going on between the lines that an annotated version is needed. For example, it wasn't until I recently read a biography of Tina Modotti that it became clear that by the time he left Mexico for the first time they were no longer lovers, and he left in frustration because he wasn't getting any. It certainly puts a whole new perspective on his second sojourn there, when they were housemates but not bedmates.
    There are several biographies of Tina (a remarkable woman, indeed, and much to my surprise Weston was almost a minor diversion), while Charis Wilson Weston's excellent autobiography essentially picks up where the Daybooks left off. but there's not a single good biography of Weston himself.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing I didn't like about EW's Daybooks, was the letter references to all the women that came and went in his life.
    M, C, etc..
    I realize he was trying to be private and all that, but he could of at least first the first name.
    Minor thing, I know.
    I did enjoy reading them.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think Ben Maddow had a biography that hashed out EW's myriad affairs, to the extent that photography came in second place...
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    FYI, Robert Adams panned Maddow's Weston biography in his "Why People Photograph"....having read the bad review, I proceeded to buy the Maddow biography and read it anyway. I would agree with Joe's characterization....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn
    FYI, Robert Adams panned Maddow's Weston biography in his "Why People Photograph"....having read the bad review, I proceeded to buy the Maddow biography and read it anyway. I would agree with Joe's characterization....
    Not only did R. Adams not agree with Maddow's interpretation, It was this bio that egged on Charis Wilson to write her book(Through another lens)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the beginning of the daybooks, it mentions that he took a razor and a thick black marker to some of the names and his thoughts about those people.

I heard some rather "racey" speculation as to what he cut out and feel like we missed out on whom the man really was.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i think one must put some perspective to all this. When those journals were kept, it was not the day of tell all, and to tell all with every detail in "glowing color" so to speak.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    i think one must put some perspective to all this. When those journals were kept, it was not the day of tell all, and to tell all with every detail in "glowing color" so to speak.
    Well, he's been in that great darkroom in the sky for over 50 years, and his first wife and all his sons are gone. It's past time to update the bio.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    perhapes, but you might want to check with the grandchildren; starting with Kim Weston.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    perhapes, but you might want to check with the grandchildren; starting with Kim Weston.
    Ann, quite a few of those cryptic name/letter in the Mexican volume can be filled in by reading the latest (Albers?) biography of Tina. (Almost all my books are in boxes right now, and I'm going CRAZY.)
    I think that Weston didn't censor the books to protect himself (he even was pretty frank about his homosexual affair with Ramiel McGee), but to avoid embarrassment to his partners.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin