Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,397   Online: 1159

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Perhaps if he used film and learned how to print.
    I happened to see this issue on the magazine rack at Barnes and Noble this evening and took a quick look at the Michael Evans portfolio.

If you read the intro notes Evans mentions that for the last 20 years he has been a film based photographer so I'm sure he knows how to print black and white.

His printing looked fine to me, I accepted it as his interpretation of what he photographed, not as a result or limitation of using the D70 or printing digitally (for that matter I don't know how he printed the work for this portfolio, I assume it is some type of digital output since it began with digital output.)

I look forward to seeing the Lens Work Extended Edition so I can see more of his work and the rest of the portfolios in this issue.
    Don Bryant

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Got my copy last night

It was in the mail when I got home from work. Mike Evan's portfolio disturbs me -- I get a feeling of melancholy which, with viewing of more of the images, changes to one of foreboding. The tones of the pictures makes me feel that he's photographing prisons, and mental prisons at that. Dark and menacing edifices to robber barons and imperial bureaucrats; visions of a small child in a drab gray smock holding up a wooden bowl and pleading, "Please, Sir, may I have some more?" to a frowning white-haired old blunderpuss in a black waistcoat. I wonder if that was what he intended?

I liked the Romanian portfolio and particularly the writing. An obvious labor of love and the photographs were beautiful. Call me immature and shallow but I've noticed that photographs without some aspect of beauty just don't seem to resonate with me.

I haven't had the time to look much beyond that (and Bill Jay's column, which is always the first thing I turn to, anyway,) but just what I've seen and read so far is very satisfying emotionally.

mjs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Interesting...nobody has commented on the Jonothan Moller Guatemala portfolio. I found it to be the best 'portfolio' (a series of images that tell a story) and felt they were the strongest images in this issue. If those were North American's or European's digging out mass graves containing their mothers, fathers, brothers, and/or sisters, would the images be more worthy of comment? Maybe people are getting numbed to such things these days...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray,

I didn't comment, but I ordered Moller's book the day after I received Ienswork and it arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do more than skim through it so far. It of course expands upon the portfolio and in addition to many more strong photographs there is abundant text ranging from historical essays to poetry. It's a good book and I am very happy I bought it.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Richard,

It must be a strong book as is hinted at in the LensWork portfolio. Cudo's to Moller...8 years is a long time.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Perhaps if he used film and learned how to print.

Wow - we purists sure are an elitist bunch!

But I agree with you - somehow when I read that this was a D70 and PhotoShop, it lessened my appreciation slightly. I know this shouldn't be the case, but it is.

But I think it is still a fine group of pics nevertheless.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Interesting...nobody has commented on the Jonothan Moller Guatemala portfolio. I found it to be the best 'portfolio' (a series of images that tell a story) and felt they were the strongest images in this issue. If those were North American's or European's digging out mass graves containing their mothers, fathers, brothers, and/or sisters, would the images be more worthy of comment? Maybe people are getting numbed to such things these days...

Murray
    Murray, I though the portfolio was well photographed and the prints excellent. However, I didn't comment simply because I was disturbed by the content - to me, photography is about showing the beautiful and the good in the world, not the ugly or evil.

If you read the intro notes Evans mentions that for the last 20 years he has been a film based photographer so I'm sure he knows how to print black and white.
    Don, yes I read that, and for FWIW, he should know better, IMO.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin

Murray
    I agree with Murray that the Moller portfolio was the best part of the issue. The Evans work was boring to me. I have seen a couple of Ross prints in person and they were quite beautiful, but I think I am burned out on the Adamesque landscape as his work presented in this issue did not really interest me. I think I will leave this issue on the shelf.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i'd have to agree with Don.. i enjoyed Evan's work... and didn't see anything wrong with the printing. Granted, it was a 'dark' portfolio... but i didn't feel that lessened it any at all. and if anything.. set it apart from what one would ordinarily expect. for me, at least, edgy is good

jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I bought it for the Ross portfolio/interview and was pleasantly surprised by the Moller Guatemala images -- stunningly good series IMO! As far as the Evans work, I agree with Rob in that it didn't do much for me either, but not because it was done digitally, more that I didn't find the images overly interesting.

If this is a thread on Lenswork, then I would say this issue was enough to get me to finally subscribe.

If this is a thread about the superiority of film and a portfolio being bad because it wasn't done with film, then we may be in for a lot of discussion

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin